question

jim-ball avatar image
jim-ball asked

Smart Shunt Fuse Can i change type of fuse to a blade type

Hi have recently installed a smart shunt on my boat and was wondering if i could easily replace the fused power supply cable that has a small glass fuse to a blade type automotive fuse in a waterproof cover as shown. Would be fitted with 1 amp fuse and cable length would be the same, maybe shorter. Does this affect the Sensing ability of the smart shunt or is it just a power feed.

Thanks Everyone. spalsh-proof-blade-fuse-holder.jpg

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Jim Ball

That should be fine. A few years back some shunts were delivered with 100mA fuses and sometimes gave doubtful results, so you have a bit up the sleeve with the standard 1A.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jim-ball avatar image jim-ball commented ·
Thank you JohnC, appreciated,
0 Likes 0 ·
Bob K avatar image Bob K jim-ball commented ·
I don't think it would. I wouldn't expect a blade fuse to have characteristics that a glass fuse doesn't have. If you make the switch, please come back and let us know if it works o.k. I might make the change myself.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ Bob K commented ·
The positive wire serves two purposes. Voltage reference and power. Power draw is a few milliamps. So unless there's very high resistance in the replacement fuse, there will be no difference in the BMV operation.

Blade fuses are widely used, reliable and easily changed. Commonality in the vehicle is a big bonus. All the fuse has to do is provide short circuit protection. And a 1A fuse shorted across 12V will blow instantly.

1 Like 1 ·