question

raypitre avatar image
raypitre asked

What Input Current Limit should I choose !

I have a Multiplus 12/2000/80 recently installed in my RV. Great for boondocking or staying in a campground with no services !

I have a question concerning the Input Current Limit. The default setting of the Multiplus was 16 amp. My RV has a 30 amp. service capacity. If I go to a campground, I usually plug my Rig in an 30 amp. outlet. When I’m home, I plug my Rv in a 15 amp. outlet. What should be the setting ? Do I have to switch from 15 amp. to 30 amp. every time I leave home to a campground ?

input current
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
luphi avatar image
luphi answered ·

If you have a GX device, it's quite easy to change the values. That's what I do.

If not, 15 Amps should be sufficient in most cases. Charging with 80Amps require ~1150W. Even if your're at 110V, there are still ~500W left for other appliances

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

raypitre avatar image
raypitre answered ·

I have a Victron VE.Bus Smart Dongle. I can change the values easily !

If I understand, I should change the value to match the shore power I´m using.

When in Inverter Mode, PowerAssist will kick in whenever the power usage is over the Input Current Limit. Is that the case ?

Thank you !

1 comment
2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

What are the biggest combined loads you intend to run on the AC out whether boondocking or at home?

0 Likes 0 ·
raypitre avatar image
raypitre answered ·

At home, I let the fridge on Auto Mode (300 Watts). 12 volts appliances (light, USB coonection, fans, pump 20 to 80 Watts). Electric Water Heater the day before leaving (1100 Watts). So before installing the Multiplus, I was using around 1500 Watts when all the appliances where all on.
No AC since the 15 A. was not strong enough. I hope using the AC for short periods (with PowerAssist).

Boondocking on batteries and solar w/o using generator : Since I am limited to 2000 VA, I used 120V. appliances accordingly to respect the max. load. Microwave, Induction Stove, Coffee Maker, Toaster. I keep my fridge and Water Heater on Gas Mode.

Boondocking using the generator : AC for a short period (1800 to 2300 W) .

In a regular full hookups Campground (30 A) all the appliances are on Electric Mode.

The last time I was in a campground, Water Heater, Fridge and AC where pumping 3300 W. The Multiplus stopped with a severe Alarm ! I’m not sure, but maybe the Input Current Limit was set to 16 A. and PowerAssist could not handle the load considering it was also charging the batteries at the same time.

What do you think !

1 comment
2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

Thank you for the useful insight. I think it just comes down to managing the loads very carefully and if you don't have a GX, https://www.victronenergy.com/panel-systems-remote-monitoring/digital-multi-control-panel-gx might be an easy way to control the 15/30A shore side switching. An Ekrano will even be better with a nice overview of eveything going on to ensure you can respond quickly too. You do seem to operate very close to the limits. The system cannot powerassist and charge at the same time and I'd expect charging to reduce or even cease in line with the shore setting if all of the 30A is taken by loads.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic