question

dstreech avatar image
dstreech asked

Two Skylla-IP44 12/60 units controlled remotely by one Skylla-I control panel

I have just completed installation of two Skylla-IP44 chargers (120 60hz VAC input……12/60 DC output). All is working nicely. Both units answer to the remote control and operate as a single unit. The problem is that the total AC input current is limited to 10 amps; meaning 5 amps to each charger… giving me a total of about 75DC amps output rather than the 120DC amps that the two units combined should be capable of. Scroll #34 on the set-up menu on the charger screen is where the input current limit is set. The charger unit will not allow an input current setting above 10 amps. Both chargers are set to the maximum limit of 10 amps. However, the remote panel also will not allow current limit setting above 10 amps.. and this means 10 amps total… to be shared by both chargers. I need to find a way to set a higher limit on the chargers as that seems to be where the remote panel is getting its information. Please help. Thank you!

input current
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
dstreech avatar image
dstreech answered ·

I just got notified by Victron’s Rich Shea that a new firmware version 1.03 has been developed and can be installed on my chargers using instructions that I have been given. Yes.. I was annoyed by the problem initially, but I am now appreciative and impressed with the skillful and quick response by Victron. Thank you.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi, thats good to hear; Rich beat me to it. you're welcome; thank you again for reporting it.

0 Likes 0 ·
dstreech avatar image dstreech commented ·

I followed the instructions below, got registered, got the VRM portal communicating, got the color panel communicating, plugged in the Skylla, the Skylla was found and recognized, proceeded to follow the instructions to update… and….. the version 1.03 was not found in the library.

0 Likes 0 ·

"product not in library".. meaning the v1.03

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ dstreech commented ·

Hi, thats strange; it seems like the firmware library doesn't have any firmware for that SKylla-IP44 model. I don't know why; I'll ask R&D to look into that.

In the meantime; you can still update the charger, by first downloading the file to your computer (its available on Victron Professional); and then in the VRM Remote Firmware Update feature is the function to upload a firmware file yourself. Its hidden behind the three dots that are in a vertical row. Explained in detail here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vrm_portal:remote-firmware-update -> chapter 4.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, this is a bug; thanks for reporting. We’ll have this fixed within a few weeks. Do you have a Venus-device such as the color control or Venus GX installed, to update them?

6 comments
2 |3000

Thank you for your answer and good to know that a fix is coming. I don’t have a Venus device installed and in fact don’t know what this is. I am an amateur. Please explain the Venus device or send me to the information. Thank you.

0 Likes 0 ·

A few weeks? I am trying to get this project finished. Could you please do it today. Frustrated.

0 Likes 0 ·

I just located the Victron GX on the internet and read about it. OK.. I will get one of those units.

0 Likes 0 ·

Not cool that I need to purchase a $300 device to make the brand-new product work properly. I was told that the two chargers could be controlled by the Skylla-I controller. Now after a laborious installation, I find out that I need to spend more money and effort.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ dstreech commented ·

Hi again, you don’t need to buy that product, I only wanted to know if you have one.

Please contact your dealer; they’ll be able to software update the devices for you.

As for the time: we’ll fix it ASAP, and that might be sooner than a few weeks, (hopefully is!) but definitively not today. I understand your frustration, and it should have worked out of the box. But it does not.

0 Likes 0 ·

Thank you! Much appreciated..

0 Likes 0 ·
dstreech avatar image
dstreech answered ·

Thank you for your help.. but it didn't help me. I followed your instructions and I was blocked from loading it. The message was "can't load two VUP files". Please ask R&D to load V1.03 into the library so that I can update my chargers that way. It should have already been there. What happened?

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi again; the file is in the library now. The issue was, to be frank, that I'd overlooked an email about it. Can you try updating again?

I'm not yet sure how / why you got the 'can't load two VUP files' error; we're still looking into that.

0 Likes 0 ·
dstreech avatar image
dstreech answered ·

Very happy now on this side. I hooked everything up again and Skylla/color panel connected to the library and the download and v1.03 update to the firmware completed easily. Now the remote panel DOES have an increased upper limit on the AC imput amps (now 16 amps) and the chargers put out 120 DC amps in total which was the original goal. Case closed. Thank you.

1 comment
2 |3000

thats good to hear; thank you for closing the loop. Matthijs

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic