question

doctorcox avatar image
doctorcox asked

BP - Short Circuit error code.

BP - Short Circuit error code. But there is absolutely positively no short circuit. I have 7 Lithium battery modules connected in series. The battery pac is used on a 48 volt golf cart. It's a good setup but I need a low voltage cutoff. So I'm using the Smart 12/24V-220A BP. My theory is to use the cut off between the third and fourth module. (Three modules equal 24 volts.)

I connect the BP negative to the first module's negative terminal. I connect the third modules' positive terminal to the "In" on the BP. Then I connect the "Out" terminal to the negative terminal on the 4th module. The BP does not "activate". And the BP displays the short circuit error code.

When I connect a jumper to the BP's IN and OUT terminals everything works fine. ??

error
bp.png (27.8 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

I don’t fully understand your theory or design, but it is not how the battery protect is intended to be used.

The Battery Protect is strictly one way only. It should be between a charge source or a load, and only in the direction of the current flow, never with the opportunity for it to flow back.

Placing it between a battery bank like that is not how it is designed to work.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic