question

sms72 avatar image
sms72 asked

Orion Smart DC to DC connection points

So I have 2 batteries connected to a 1|2|BOTH marine switch. The batteries on that switch are Lead Acids. I believe the alternator is connected to the COMMON of that switch so if I have it on 1 it charges battery 1 etc...

I have a separate 200ah Li battery bank that I want to charge via the Alternator while underway (70A output)

My idea was to install an Orion 12|12|30 and connect it to the COMMON line coming out of the switch that way it woudl charge that Li bank.

Is there any issue with doing this? Would that Orion protect the Alternator in case of a BMS disconnect. ( my thought was that there would always be a Lead-Acid battery connected at the same time, but not sure if that is truly the case in this scenario.

orion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

@sms72 That will work. The alternator will charge the lead acid and the DC/DC will be a load. I would connect the remote on/off switch to the engine ignition, so it is only active when the engine is on.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sswallow72 avatar image
sswallow72 answered ·

Ok. I was wondering about the wiring of that remote switch. I also read that you can set it up to look for the higher voltage to start charging... ie when the voltage is boosted while the alternator is running, instead of running a wire from the ignition.

2 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Both viable.
1 Like 1 ·
sms72 avatar image sms72 kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Excellent
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources