question

scaarup avatar image
scaarup asked

DC DC Converter not able to start my cooler

Hi all.
I am installing an Orion 12 V DC DC (9A) converter which I though could supply power for my fridge, which is using about 4A under normal operations. However, the compressor of the fridge is unable to start when it is via the converter. I suspect it is because it requires a lot more amps to start, than the supported 9.
Am I correct in my assumption and if so, how do I solve this issue?
Thanks.

orion dc-dc
10 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@scaarup

Add a small battery to the output for the surge?

The better option would have been a Battery protect to run the small fridge.

0 Likes 0 ·
scaarup avatar image scaarup Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Oh really? But I am not trying to protect a battery :)
0 Likes 0 ·
yann avatar image yann scaarup commented ·
the battery is 12V, and the fridge is 12V ? if yes, why do you want to use DC/DC ?
0 Likes 0 ·
scaarup avatar image scaarup yann commented ·
Because the fridge is malfunctioning when my charger is providing 14.7 V, as is the default for my AGM batteries. So I have to adjust the charger down to 13.5 V before the fridge is coorperating. Meaning I will never fully charge my batteries.
0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ scaarup commented ·
@scaarup A simpler solution would be to wire in series with the fridge a bridge rectifier. You will get between 1 - 1.2 volt drop across the bridge.
2 Likes 2 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Guess you mean battery to rectifier to fridge, no converter.
0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Correct, no converter needed.
1 Like 1 ·
scaarup avatar image scaarup klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Ah cool. Do you have a link to some example hardware?

0 Likes 0 ·
yann avatar image yann scaarup commented ·
ho wow... that's really strange the fridge does not work with more than 13,5V, as 14,5 is the normal charging voltage for most 12V systems.

Considering this, the DC/DC looks a good solution. You may add a very large capacitor on the dc/dc output so it will help providing the starting current

0 Likes 0 ·
scaarup avatar image scaarup yann commented ·
I think it's strange too, since the manual says it should be able to handle voltages between 11 and 15.
0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers

Related Resources