question

zanshin avatar image
zanshin asked

Quattro sporadic "overload" while charging

I've looked at the other posts regarding "overload" and all of them are actually using the inverter; in my case I am only charging yet I get an "overload".

I have a 7 year old Victron Quattro 24/5000/120-2x100 which has been showing some problems recently.

When I run the generator to power the Victron, which is set to “charge” only mode with no inverter, the system works correctly initially. It will trigger the 220V output after a couple of seconds and charge the battery bank. I use VE Configure 3 to configure the system and also to monitor it. I do have a remote digital multi control panel, but I’ve unplugged it to simplify debugging the problem.

After a random period of time – it could be a couple of minutes or after an hour, the system shuts down with the “overload” red light on the virtual panel, the charging stops as does the 220V output. The system needs to be turned off at the device and then switched on again to get rid of the “overload” red light.

Nothing special is going on at either the 220V output or the charging system when this happens. The load on the 220V is 2A and the charging attributes are as shown below. The battery bank is a large AGM bank which can accept 100A charging (and I used this setting for years), but I’ve reduced the actual current limit to 10A with the problem still occurring, and now it is set to 30A but when the problem occurs the actual load is often under 10A.

The Quattro device itself is not warm to the touch when this happens.

How can the overload light be triggered when the inverter is turned off? What conditions can trigger a overload while charging?

error
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Z. It may be just rejecting the quality of the generator power. I suffer this too with a Multi, but can't confirm what the lights show, just cos I've never looked. Gennys get old too, so perhaps do Quattros. I get pickier as I age too..

On the page you posted, try ticking 'Weak AC input'. The issue, and more thorough procedure is described here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

There are (minor?) downsides to the more serious fixes, but they are described in that article.

IF this is your issue you'd likely hear the 'transfer relay' click quite loudly upon rejection (if you have it activated).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

zanshin avatar image
zanshin answered ·

Hello John,

The generator is a 10kW Cummins-Onan and it is barely under load and hasn't seen too much use or ever shown problems (apart from chewing through impellers, but that's a different story).

I think I had tried the weak input, but have set it now and fired up the generator. I should have added that when I disable the charger functionality in VE Configure the problem doesn't occur.

Here's a screen shot after starting, the batteries are somewhat depleted and charging with 30A per the settings

This is now my ritual in the morning, change VE Configure to turn off the charger, fire up the generator, make a coffee (Nespresso machine plus milk frother), change the VE Configure settings to charge and see how much power I can get back into the battery bank. Once the Victron trips with overload I turn off the generator and run the engine to charge the batteries - which is very inefficient.

OK - it just died with the overload error after running 3 minutes. Usually I get a longer runtime. I did hear a "click" from the Victron when it stopped charging and stopped transferring AC power out.

victronload.jpg (45.5 KiB)
virtualpanel.jpg (36.1 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

when I disable the charger functionality in VE Configure the problem doesn't occur.

This throws me. Not so sure of that controller either (if it's an actual pic of yours)? What happens if you disconnect that?

0 Likes 0 ·
zanshin avatar image zanshin JohnC ♦ commented ·

My controller actually looks like that, but I've disconnected it and the screen shot in my post is from the "virtual" controller in the VE Config software.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

If its 7 plus years old, then take the covers off and see how much dust etc is inside, plus give it a blast out with compressed air, (make sure the air is dry , no moisture ), as the dust could be causing you issues etc

worth a try

1 comment
2 |3000

zanshin avatar image zanshin commented ·

Hello Paul - the installation is on a boat. I've opened up the device to see if there might corrosion anywhere that might be causing the problem, but there isn't a speck of corrosion or dust to be seen, the Victron looks pristine.

0 Likes 0 ·
zanshin avatar image
zanshin answered ·

I had old firmware installed on the Quattro and downloaded the highest version for this unit, 1948159, and flashed it. I left the default settings except for the bulk voltage, float voltage and max amperes (28.4V, 27.8V and 30A respectively) and reset the Quattro. The error has not repeated itself, although I've only run the generator for an hour today. I'll give it another go tonight or tomorrow when the batteries need an extended charge. I did have one case last week where the generator didn't trip the Quattro, but hopefully updating the firmware might have done the trick.

1 comment
2 |3000

Unfortunately just after I posted this the Quattro tripped off again...

0 Likes 0 ·
zanshin avatar image
zanshin answered ·

I think I have the answer to the problem - Once I disconnected the cable going to the MKII USB converter to my PC the problem no longer occurs. I found out the correlation when I'd opened up the Victron Quattro to spray some air around (there was no dust, but I did it anyway) I'd disconnected the two connections for the remote panel and the PC-Connection. I started up the generator and turned on the Quattro and everything was running OK, so after a couple of minutes I connected the cable to the computer and -pop-, the "overload" light went on. After resetting the Victron I repeated the test and again it went into "overload". That was 2 days ago and I've been running the Victron as both a charger and inverter since then without a single problem.

It looks like the comms board is soldered to the main board, so it won't be an easy fix.

2 |3000

zanshin avatar image
zanshin answered ·

OK, it has been several days now living aboard and using the Quattro both for charging and as an inverter and the problem hasn't come up again. So the cause was indeed either the communication board attached to the main board in the Quattro or the MK3 Usb converter.

2 |3000

Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hello, First the Quattro has a bi-directional power pack which means you do not have a charger part and a separate inverter part inside the enclosure, but electronics which can do both. So if the inverter is running well there is hardly a risk there is something wrong during charging (caused by hardware that is) If turning the charge OFF helps i have a the feeling that the issue is related to the the incoming power. Overload during inverter mode can happen/is quite normal when loads get to high. In charge mode this should never happen unless there is really a problem detected. This can be an Incoming voltage which is dropping fast (too fast for the Quattro to keep up), A fast fase shift (which can cause over voltage) or a DC current which is getting too high.

So please ensure yourself the generator is not loaded too much (max 75-80% of its rated power), doenst have hik-ups due to filter/fuel issues.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hello Johannes,

The problem has never happened in "inverter" mode, but only when in "charge" mode.

The generator is a 10kW Cummins-Onan and is currently only being used with less than 2kVA. But I added a message that the problem lies in the communications add-on board or in my MK3 USB adapter. Since the Victron connects and communicates to the attached PC but then shows the "overload" while charging, but if I remove the cable then the problem goes away it probably isn't a sudden fault with the MK3 adapter. I've also tried changing between the 2 ports on the Quattro with no luck. The remote DMC panel functions in either port.

0 Likes 0 ·
maurice avatar image
maurice answered ·

Dear Zanshin, İ had exactly the same problem. Whether the generator is running or shore power is connect, the mains start up and after a certain time the Quattro cuts of in 'Overload'. When İ tested the inverter (without generator or shore power) there was not any error even if İ requested full load from the inverter. İ brought it to my Victron repair shop and he had to do a lot of research but found out that some part near the main processor was malfunctioning. He replaced it and works like before. My Victron Quattro was 8 years old. Solved. This is a hardware problem.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic