question

husnen-rupani avatar image
husnen-rupani asked

What happens when phoenix sinwave inverter active shorts to earth?

Hello,

We are using a phoenix 12/250 sinewave inverter in small stand alone system. The earth terminal of the inverter and earth from the output are linked.

What would happen if the active wire from the output accidentally shorts to the earth?

Will the inverter shut down and protect itself?

Could this scenario become a danger for the users?

I couldn't find any questions related to this topic, but apologies if this question has already been asked.

Thanks,

Hus

Phoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

In the USA, a GFCI or circuit breaker would trip.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Husnen Rupani

Assuming no one is standing with their finger on the earth terminal at the back all should be fine. And no one is playing with live wiring.

The inverters are short circuit proof. See the manual is is a feature.

I have seen one shut down rather gracefully when the user rolled over their extension chord (plugged into a 12/500) and damaged it so there was an internal short there.

3 comments
2 |3000

husnen-rupani avatar image husnen-rupani commented ·

Thanks for the response @Alexandra.

We are considering the worst-case scenario: if someone is in contact with the earth (not directly to the earth terminal but to the general earth, where the terminal would be connected anyway) and if the active wire from the output accidentally shorted it.

My understanding is that the inverter should shut down whether there is an active-to-earth short circuit or active-to-neutral. Would I be correct in this?

I also believe that if the active was to short to earth and if the resistance is low enough (assuming the inverter doesn't shut down fast enough or at all), it shouldn't affect a user because the path to the earth would be much easier. What's your opinion?

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my query.

Hus

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ husnen-rupani commented ·
@Husnen Rupani

The inverter is designed to shut down when there is a short on the output. But this from what I understand only will kick in the overload protection between N and L. This is not something I have tested.

L to E will short to ground but there is no current path. So the protection is less likely to kick in. But also a person touching there unless they have a really good ground connection. I think practical engineering describes it well.

If you look in the manual, there is a jumper that you can bond earth neutral together as well internally. That way in both scenarious is will trip.

I guess you should also be asking what local regulations are as well.

0 Likes 0 ·
bradders avatar image bradders Alexandra ♦ commented ·
I have just purchased a 12/500 and bonded the earth and neutral. Unfortunately now, the eco mode no longer works and the inverter starts inverting with a steady 12VA even though there is no plug on the AC outlet!!
0 Likes 0 ·