question

tig-170 avatar image
tig-170 asked

VRM Portal connection issue

Hi Folks, Have a very simple set-up, and my MP II GX will connect to the outside world (i.e. upload new firmware, will connect via remote ip and port : 3.72.120.57;170xx), as well as via LAN / Wifi (whether through router / of MPII access point)/ bluetooth, it all works until i try to access VRM online portal, all from the past 2 months? I've changed routers, aswell as trying a tethered mobile connection (very simple default setup at default / changed the firewall etc. , added 443 & 80 ports ) - I've followed https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/CCGX/en/vrm-portal.html#UUID-ad907fe1-a8b9-b97d-ad9b-bab231fe9680 many times, and tried every possible combination, also I just can't get VRM to work anymore, internally everything works but it just cant get through to the vncrelay.victronenergy.com, or vncrelay2.victronenergy.com servers, on the computer I can see these (and have tried to change the dns to 8.8.8.8)- anyone can help with this (tried both nornal & ID-red firmwares, hard resets on MPII)

It worked fine until the past 2 months! Arhh

EDIT: I should say that our home broadband is 900Mhz full fibre, bog standard BT/EE internet which is the majority of setups in the UK ?

VRMconnection issue
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

10 Answers
tig-170 avatar image
tig-170 answered ·

RESOLVED FINALLY : It was a corrupt file operating system (manifested by no internal file storage buffer), resolved following this exact procedure https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/en/reset-to-factory-defaults-procedure.html - thanks once again for all your help.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nesswill avatar image
nesswill answered ·

I have the same fibre connection and have no problems and never have, have you tried a VPN connection to VRM?

Have you check your host file?

2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

Have you looked as the computer side firewall (if windows) and antivirus/adblockers software? Did you try another device (pc or tablet)?

2 |3000

tig-170 avatar image
tig-170 answered ·

Thanks for all your help, another failed day, factory reset everything (on router & MPII), removed virus scanner & firewall, changed router on different subset, and just used LAN cables to connect PC & MP11, the computer quite happily connects to the outside world, and the MPII does connect to the outside world as as soon as i disconnect the WAN cable from the Fibre box on the wall, i loose the ipaddress in the General Remote support tunnel: as it changes from 3.72.120.57;33xxx to 0

2 |3000

nesswill avatar image
nesswill answered ·

Have you tried a traceroute cmd? Should tell you how far you're getting...

trace.jpg

trace.jpg (110.3 KiB)
2 |3000

tig-170 avatar image
tig-170 answered ·

untitled.png

Thanks nesswill : see above?

untitled.png (103.7 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

nesswill avatar image nesswill commented ·
Ok so from your ip you can get to victron server, so maybe your dns is not resolving.

Try typing in the vrm ip in your browser and see what happens.

-1 Like -1 ·
nesswill avatar image nesswill nesswill commented ·

Clear your DNS with the ipconfig /flushdns command in the Run dialog box. The ipconfig /flushdns command also works via Command Prompt.

-1 Like -1 ·
tig-170 avatar image
tig-170 answered ·

Nope: Its almost as if victrons server is blocking the mac address, so strange as it did work, until a few months ago (i.e. its mixed up my mac address, and thinks its registered to someone else!!!) - any idea how to get in contact to victron directly?

1 comment
2 |3000

nesswill avatar image nesswill commented ·

As you can run a trace from your pc i suspect its something your end.

Have you cleared the cache

Did you try a VPN?

Can you connect with your phone using WiFi and just mobile data (so not connected to the WiFi)

Did you check your host file?

Have you tethering your phone to your pc to connect through your phone.?

And did you flush your dns?

0 Likes 0 ·
tig-170 avatar image
tig-170 answered ·

Ok, just been out to the shop and bought a 3 3G sim, and re-established an old 3G router, with which has either 3G (three) or WAN (via BT/EE :)

done every thing above; aside from host file? - how

Ive switched off bluetooth & Wifi so am forcing the MP II through the LAN, i can also do arp-a and see that MAC address of the MPII, I've set this all on a very old laptop, so all that is on the network is the MPII, the PC & Router on a different private IP address.

So when on Three I get:

untitled3.png

and when on BT/EE I get

... next post... as wont allow me to upload another

untitled3.png (2.5 MiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

Maybe time to cut your losses and decommision/delete the original installation from VRM and set it up again and ensure the current portal ID matches your current portal ID, there are no passwords enabled and also try it without https etc.

-1 Like -1 ·
tig-170 avatar image
tig-170 answered ·

the BT/EE route

untitledeea.png (2.7 MiB)
2 |3000

tig-170 avatar image
tig-170 answered ·

I've done all that, I think im going to have to go into the systen using linux, quick question under VRM online Portal, do you have any internal storage? - im going to delve into the system to find the GX file: I can;t get an old USB stick to connect either: but that might be a formatting issue to FAT16, which im sure i can`sort

untitled.png

untitled.png (99.6 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

Looks like this typically without an SD card so I think your system image has to be restored from the looks of it.

1691080398276.png

1 Like 1 ·
1691080398276.png (47.3 KiB)

Related Resources