question

frye avatar image
frye asked

Tried and working USB hubs / extension cables for VE.Direct to USB connection

I have a problem connecting 3 MPPTs and one BMV (712) to the Cerbo GX. The VE.Direct to USB cable is ridiculously short. Just one foot longer and I could use it for any of the four connections. Now it needs to be extended for each and every one of them. I have a USB hub which I tried, without luck. Before I go out and buy several new ones and hoe to find one by trial and error would you be willing to share with me what brands / models have worked for you. I literally need a foot more.

Is there any way for me to validate that the VE.Direct to USB cable itself is working with a laptop? Due to the length issues with the cable I would need to completely rewire one of my solar controllers or the BMV head unit to test it in the boat. Thanks for the help!

cerbo gxVE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
dmsims avatar image
dmsims answered ·

I use a Waveshare USB 3.2 hub (which has it's own PSU) with a Pi

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

I have a problem connecting 3 MPPTs and one BMV (712) to the Cerbo GX. The VE.Direct to USB cable is ridiculously short. Just one foot longer and I could use it for any of the four connections. Now it needs to be extended for each and every one of them.

Cerbo GX has 3 VE.Direct ports.

For 3 of those devices you can use VE.Direct-VE.Direct cables.

Available at lengths up to 10m, but buy the shortest ones which are long enough for your system (so for instance do not get a 10m cable, if 3m is long enough; but when calculating the length, leave some slack to avoid sharp bends).

VE.Direct to VE.Direct cables are also cheaper than VE.Direct-USB interface.

-------

Is there any way for me to validate that the VE.Direct to USB cable itself is working with a laptop?

Yes, if it's a Windows laptop.

Install VictronConnect (for Windows) on it, then connect the laptop to an MPPT, using the USB-VE.Direct interface.

-------

Alternatively, just temporarily move the Cerbo closer to the MPPT and test the USB-VE.Direct interface.

And can't you just do that anyway for the permanent setup (move the Cerbo closer)?

--------

One more thing: on Cerbo, do not use the USB port next to the HDMI port. That's only for powering the (optional) external display.

1 comment
2 |3000

frye avatar image frye commented ·

Temporarily moving something is not an option. And I have already minimized the distances between all the units. One foot longer VE.Direct to USB would be plenty. Turns out the unit I bought was faulty from the packaging. I bought another one and it is being recognized by my test raspberry PI based setup while the faulty is not.

Thanks for the help!

0 Likes 0 ·
frye avatar image
frye answered ·

Thanks! I got two hubs and extension cable and no luck so I guess I have a lemon cable out of the packaging. Ordered a second one to try.

2 |3000

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

For long cable lengths, do not bother with unpowered USB hubs (USB hubs without a power supply).

Even with powered USB hubs you might need to daisy chain a few (depending on how long is the total distance).

1 comment
2 |3000

frye avatar image frye commented ·
I only need 1ft extension which is why this is so frustrating. I tried with two different powered hubs. One I powered up with external power bank from separate power connector as I could not find the original adapter for that. Second one I went and bought new. This one I ran with the included power adapter. I might just try to build an extension on the VE.Direct side at this point as the extension is really that short.

Both USB hubs show up in the Cerbo root console, however the VE.Direct to USB connection does nothing with any of the three options I tried. What do you think would be max length to try with just USB A extension cable?

Thanks for your help!

0 Likes 0 ·