question

Supra-Halbleiter avatar image
Supra-Halbleiter asked

DC-DC converter with remotely configurable voltage

Hello everyone!

I want to be able to automate setting the voltage of a converter. Is this possible with Victron gear? I plan to build a PV system with a Cerbo GX and have difficulties finding the right hardware for my DC-System.

My current understanding is that the Orions without "smart" in the name have no remote interfaces besides the remote switch and the smart Orions can only be configured via Bluetooth (and the Bluetooth client is always a smartphone or tablet, without protocol documentation?).

Are there any DC-DC converters, from Victron or other manufacturers, that can be integrated into the system, so i can see and change the voltage when connected to the Cerbo GX via LAN? If there is no GUI available but the parameters are accessible via Modbus or some other protocol that would be fine with me.

My battery voltage is 48V and ideally I want to be able to provide any DC Voltage from about 12V to 52V.

orion dc-dcdc system
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

Such DC/DC Inverter you have to design yourself... I use a Linear Technology Polyphase Boost Inverter (max 12 phases) with 8x 50A from a 24V Battery source to power a Lorch M-Pro 250 Welding Machine without using 230/400V AC.

However, it require some skills, but if you want to use MODBUS, the use an ESP32 or similar to change the Voltage. The ESP32 has everything you need for your project and it is cheap...

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Supra-Halbleiter avatar image Supra-Halbleiter commented ·

I like the idea. I already played around a lot with Arduinos and assembled some synthesizers and work as sysadmin and developer, so I can't help myself and will try and go down this this rabbit hole. I hope I won't have to dig too deep into electronics design in the process. I could design and order very basic PCB circuits, if needed, but my limited electronics knowledge is not enough when frequencies come into play.

The ESP32 is ridiculously cheap, i would say. :) I just saw one for less than 3 EUR. Thank you for the references.

-1 Like -1 ·

Related Resources

Victron DC to DC Converters Product Range

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic