question

cas avatar image
cas asked

Can the Touch 50 show actual useable SOC instead of total?

I am using lead acid batteries, and my Cerbo/smarts hunt is set to total ah of 460 which my battery bank is so my SOC on the display is for all 460ah even though I can only use half. Is there a way to set it so that once 230ah has been used it will show 0 instead of 50% ?

SmartShuntSOC
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·
No. But there's a time to go calc shown which is based on current consumption, capacity and discharge floor. This is better because the 50% you don't want to use is there for emergencies.

You could halve the entered capacity, which would do what you want, but it will be misleading.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

With the BMV you can set a discharge floor (i.e. 50%) that is helpful. it does not alter the overall soc value, but you get time to go to the discharge floor point.

0 Likes 0 ·
cas avatar image cas commented ·
Ok, I assumed that halving the battery size would mess with other things. I will just have to teach everyone that 50% means empty lol!
0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

I will just have to teach everyone that 50% means empty lol!

If you have an inverter, make sure you set the inverter low-battery warning and shutdown voltages accordingly.

Even 50% SOC could be too low for lead-acid batteries (but depending on the type of lead-acid battery you have).

For lead-acid also is important to charge them fully daily if possible. Otherwise they will lose capacity faster. So keep this in mind, too (limiting the discharge at higher SOC, if usually you can't fully recharge them).

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I've always thought that displaying a USABLE SOC would be more in line with what end users want to see. I've tried to explain to others how they should not go below 50% with lead acid batteries but it often doesn't register. I hear too often that 50% SOC is ignored and the battery is used until it produces no useable power. Only then do they plug in or start the generator.

Maybe a selection to show absolute or useable SOC with a user settable useable low limit could be added.

2 |3000

Related Resources