question

nate-costello avatar image
nate-costello asked

I have a Smart Solar MPPT that is not compatible with VE.smart networking. Can I use the VE.Direct to Bluetooth Smart Dongle with a Smart Battery Sense to allow the MPPT to obtain accurate battery Voltage?

I need a way to provide accurate battery voltage to my Smart Solar MPPT (it is off by as much as 0.3-0.5 volts). Based on the victronconnect live manual, and my MPPT part number (SCC010085210), VE.Smart Networking is not supported. However, the same manual states that the new VE.Direct Bluetooth Smart dongle (part number ASS030536011) is compatible with VE.Smart Networking.

A couple other details. I need to be able to still control the MPPT via victronconnect. This leads to two additional questions:

1. Will I still be able to configure/enable/disable the MPPT via my phone if it is connected to the VE.Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle? I ask because of this note here that says I will lose bluetooth from the MPPT if VE.Direct is in use.

2. Can the dongle communicate with the "Smart" network (the smart battery sense specifically) AND also communicate with my phone via bluetooth? I ask that because the documentation says "Only one phone or tablet can be connected to a dongle at the same time. Make sure no other devices are connected to the dongle, and try again." This is stated both in the dongle live manual and in the victron live manual.

MPPT ControllersSmart Battery SenseVE.Smart NetworkVE.Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Martijn Coster (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Martijn Coster (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Nate Costello,

Yes if you get the dongle you specify in you question then it will work.
1. You can still connect using your phone to the new Bluetooth connection of the dongle

2. Only one phone can be connected. The connection between the dongle and the smart sense will work.

best regards
Martijn Coster - Victron Energy

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VE.Smart Networking Manual

Smart Battery Sense Product Page

Smart Battery Sense Manual