question

hnilsen avatar image
hnilsen asked

EasySolar II not connecting to Ethernet or WiFi

I'm trying to connect mye EasySolar II, and two days ago I was successful in adding it to ethernet, and then to wifi. It was added to VRM, and I could see it remotely in the VRM Console.

Now it doesn't show up anywhere, it doesn't even seem to connect to Ethernet nor the Wifi (no IP address is being requested).

I removed the system from the VRM portal, as I figured I could start from scratch - and now I'm not able to add the VRM ID any more with the following error message: "The installation with the specified VRM Portal ID or IMEI could not be found.". I guess it doesn't call home because it's not able to connect to my network.

I have no idea how to proceed further.

PS: The network is well managed, and I have full control, so it's not a network error - the error must be on the side of the EasySolar somewhere.

PPS: I'm able to connect to, and manage, the SmartSolar MPPT through Bluetooth, but not the Multiplus/Easysolar.

VRMTCP IP Networking
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Download the image from http://updates.victronenergy.com/feeds/venus/release/images/ plop it onto a stick and restart the GX. It will install via USB.

(You need to check which hardware is appropriate, it is usually what it reports itself as via DHCP, iirc it is beaglebone for those units).

Also see:

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Venus_GX/en/reset-to-factory-defaults-procedure.html

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hnilsen avatar image hnilsen commented ·
@nickdb thank you - the factory reset did the trick, thank you so much. It came back online for me now after following that guide, and it works just as it did two days ago. Thank you again!
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ hnilsen commented ·
Glad you’re sorted.
1 Like 1 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Hi, did you update the internal GX?

Also, are you aware, it will use one or the other when both are connected? The use of both ports is documented in the guide. Might be worth just testing with one connection to start.

You probably want to power off the module by disconnecting it briefly, also when it is online, set it to auto reboot on comms failure, this can save some problems if it gets stuck in future.

7 comments
2 |3000

Once I connected the SmartSolar through bluetooth it asked to be connected before proceeding. This still connects fine. I can't see any versions through Victron Connect though, so I have no idea what it currently uses.

I'm a little bit puzzled by what you mean by "both ports". I just have the one Ethernet port. When disconnecting ethernet, it doesn't show up as a client on my WiFi network either.

0 Likes 0 ·

I meant configuring the GX to use both wifi and wired LAN, it will only actually use one, the other is backup.

Pull the power on the GX module, let it restart then try connect to venus.local from a browser.

From there you can check its firmware.

1 Like 1 ·
hnilsen avatar image hnilsen nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
I'll try that - where do I pull the power to the GX module exactly? Just press the RESET-button between USB and ETHERNET?
0 Likes 0 ·
Just nudge the reset button
1 Like 1 ·
hnilsen avatar image hnilsen nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Took out the ethernet, nudget it as you said - it does reboot the GX. No WiFi client visible, and nothing on http://venus.local/

Inserted the ethernet cable once again, and same thing: no IP address, no mac address communicated to the switch. Also no venus.local.

0 Likes 0 ·

How can I update the firmware, is it possible using a USB stick, or do I need to connect to it in order to update it?

0 Likes 0 ·

Download the image from http://updates.victronenergy.com/feeds/venus/release/images/ plop it onto a stick and restart the GX. It will install via USB.

(You need to check which hardware is appropriate, it is usually what it reports itself as via DHCP, iirc it is beaglebone for those units).

Also see:

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Venus_GX/en/reset-to-factory-defaults-procedure.html

2 Likes 2 ·
Juraj Nikolov avatar image
Juraj Nikolov answered ·

@hnilsen Stupid question, but... can you ping your GX ? From your LAN ? cmd ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx : ) If not check the cables from ESII to switch or router ... if it is possible prefer Ethernet Cable before WiFi ;)

7 comments
2 |3000

Good suggestion. It doesn't get an IP address to begin with, so there is nothing to ping. This worked the last time I had it connected (which was two days ago, and my initial setup). I can see it connected to the port on my Ubiquiti switch (ethernet), but it doesn't seem to even identify itself with a mac address even.

On WiFi, it was set up to connect there too, but it's not connecting today.

Neither options that worked two days ago, work today.

0 Likes 0 ·
Juraj Nikolov avatar image Juraj Nikolov hnilsen commented ·

@hnilsen If you got access in to your router, you can check if DHCP give IP GX and then this IP you put in the browser and you are in GX :)

Then check settings in \setup\vrm online portal\ :)
OR it is possible that your GX ID is using by another installation ;)
If are you 100% sure it is not used in another installation then in VRM\setings\geenral Delete youre instalation and try it install again (in VRM)

0 Likes 0 ·

@hnilsen Does your router block your (GX) MAC address? May be ?@?

0 Likes 0 ·
hnilsen avatar image hnilsen Juraj Nikolov commented ·
No, it worked just fine two days ago. It's not blocked in any way. It stopped working. I can see the ethernet connect, but it doesn't communicate a mac address to the switch. And it does not get an IP address either.
0 Likes 0 ·

@hnilsen

If you are using ESS, you might have the same problem as me…
If I had fw 502 on Multi the system froze, the GX could not be pinged (but was connected), only a hard reset helped (disconnect from power) then I had approx. 15 min. to change settings in MP from ON to invert only or reconfigure MP via ve.config and remove ESS :P
In this case, the upgrade fw 505 to MP helped me ...

But I has every 3 hour errors on BMS is disconnected, Bat.voltage is low, etc. it fix it self... but the reports are annoying ...

0 Likes 0 ·
hnilsen avatar image hnilsen Juraj Nikolov commented ·

I actually just have the EasySolar II - and a home-made Nissan Leaf battery with a REC Q BMS between that and the EasySolar II.

I followed the guide @nickdb posted to factory reset it, and that worked for me.

1 Like 1 ·
@hnilsen perfect ; )
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources