question

ako avatar image
ako asked

DC to DC and Shunt

Have bought a DC-DC 24-24 charger to charge a backup Lithium batery , do i need a shunt to monitor everything in the same way i do with the main bank which is AGM .

The battery manufacturer says to use their charger as would be better then the Victron one as its multi purpose , theirs is specific to Lithium , what are the opinions on that statement , should i return the Victron and buy the one recommended , only problem is that i need to charge from 24 volt system , not AC mains . I notice the Victron one has Float which i read Lithium should not go into Float .

I guess what im really asking is if these dc-dc chargers are any good and safe to trust on new expensive Lithium batteries .

orion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
ako avatar image
ako answered ·

Can i set up and Monitor the DC to DC Charger on my laptop online using Victron Connect the same way that i can with the Smart MPPT and Smart Shunt or can it only be seen when im close to it on Bluetooth .

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
@AKO you can set up and monitor locally via bluetooth, with an andriod or ios phone.

Bluetooth does not work with windows laptops.

0 Likes 0 ·
ako avatar image ako klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Thats a disappointment , i can initially set it up with bluetooth but can only monitor things via the Internet . The charger is only for a Backup Lithium battery but im wondering now if i can monitor it using another Smart Shunt , the same as i have on my main AGM Battery Bank .
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@AKO

It depends on the lithium battery you are using. Some lithiums charge up to a higher voltage then are dropped down to a lower voltage, so technically a float level.Not really the same way a lead acid floats.

In any case they are customizable just like all the other products so you can change the voltages as required.

2 |3000

ako avatar image
ako answered ·

Thank you Alexandra , can Float be Disabled in the same way Equalization can be on the MPPT for AGM batteries . Battery Specs are 100 amp/hr , Charge voltage 28.4 to 29.2 volts , Absorption Voltage 28.8 +/- 0.4 volts , 20amp charge current ,Tail current 4 amps but i dont know if the DC-DC chargers cut off at Tail voltage , MPPT Smart Charger doesn't , odd thing is they came with 26.2 voltage and im told thats about 40% full , strange when 100% full is only 25.6 volts , these Lithium are a totally new experience to me .

1 comment
2 |3000

derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas commented ·
Voltage is a horrible indication of SOC when it comes to lifepo4 batteries. Contrary to popular belief, floating lifepo4 batteries will not damage them. You can set the float voltage low enough that it is negligible.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources