question

finn777 avatar image
finn777 asked

Orion 12-12 9A does not charge unless I add output positive while Orion turned on

I have a Victron Orion 12-12 9 A. The system consists of 2 batteries (start and house). Start battery is on the input side and house battery on the output. I have extensively tested it and have problems.

When everything is connected and I turn on the Orion unit, nothing happens. Orion does not charge the house battery. If I disconnect the output side, turn on the victron unit and then connect output, it starts charging. Is this a feature of this unit? Can it not be used as a charger like Victron claims?

orion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The normal "non-Smart" Orion series is NOT designed as battery chargers!

1689319854508.png

1689319854508.png (17.5 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

benm avatar image
benm answered ·

In the manual from 2020 is written: Can be used as battery charger.

manual-2020.jpg

In the manual from 2022 is written: NOT intended to use.....

manual 2022.jpg

I think Victron in the newer manual like to bring attention to there smart ORION, which have a better charge profile to charge a battery.

There is not written that the are not design for. At least not in 2020!!.

But I have the same problem as you have.

Somehow the remote switch dont work if setup as battery charger.

If setup with a 5amp, load the remote switch worked correctly.

For me looks like a problem with the latest batch from the this product.

Can someone from Victron give a answer on this.

@Guy stewart

manual-2020.jpg (541.4 KiB)
manual-2022.jpg (546.8 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
@BenM

Indeed the datasheets were changed for the Converters since the introduction of the Smart series. Even though some (eg. 48V models) didn't get a Smart successor.

They can still be used as battery chargers, but you need to adjust the FLAT output V with a tiny screwdriver (little hole, bottom rhs). Bit fiddly with a multimeter.

I use a 48/12-20 set at ~13.8V. And switch it in via potential-free bridges across the Remote terminals. I use both a toggle switch and Assistants in a Multiplus to do that.

Works fine. But I can't speak for 'batch problems'.

0 Likes 0 ·
benm avatar image benm JohnC ♦ commented ·

In the last week I had 3 times the 12-12 9 replaced by the dealer.

All have the same problem, same problem as describe in the original post above.

If there is a battery connected to the output, and the remote switch is triggered, the LED comes on, but the unit don't start charging!!

If the output fuse is removed, and installed back, the unit start charging.

I did a test with a load from 4amp, trigger the remote input, LED comes on and unit start powered the device.

It look like, IF the unit "see" a voltage at the output, WHEN remote is triggered, it dont start charging.

IF remote is triggered, with no voltage at the output, the device comes on, if battery is then connected, charging is started.

This means the NEW units behaviour is different then the older batch units.

Charging a battery is not possible anymore, or you need to switch the unit ON continuous.

-1 Like -1 ·

Related Resources