question

ivanjh avatar image
ivanjh asked

Getting hid_multitouch kernel module in future Venus releases

I have a 5" touchscreen on a Cerbo GX (which is multitouch capable). Its non-multitouch operation seems to upset hid_generic/ TSlib - making it totally unusable.

But, once the existing linux hid_multitouch kernel module available - it works just fine.

I don't expect many would manage to cross compile a matching arm kernel module, and thus including it by default in future releases would be nice.

Seems like I need to get `HID_MULTITOUCH` into the modules listed at https://github.com/victronenergy/linux/blob/venus-5.10.109/Kconfig.venus#L195

which I believe will result in update to https://github.com/victronenergy/linux/blob/venus-5.10.109/arch/arm/configs/sunxi_victron_defconfig

Traditionally, I'd PR against this GitHub repo, but I don't believe the devs work like this.

Does anyone know how I'd engage to see such a change made?

cerbo gxtouchscreenlinux
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

@ivanjh I very much doubt you will get Victron to do this. Victron already have touch screens for their CerboGX device, and making this change will impact testing of each and every version of VenusOS following the change.The cost of that for one or two users who could purchase a touch50 or touch70 is just not worth their development. If you have invested in a CerboGX, then invest in a touch 50. It is guaranteed to work and includes a warranty. If you have already made the change and cross compiled a kernel then you do not need the change and could build a new module as and when the kernel is updated.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ivanjh avatar image
ivanjh answered ·

I've been asked by a few people, so here is the kernel module file I built. (You will need a bit of linux knowledge for this.)

# Make sure your kernel version matches.
root@cerbogx:~# uname -r
5.10.109-venus-10

Copy extracted `hid-multitouch.ko` file into `/lib/modules/5.10.109-venus-10/kernel/drivers/hid`.

Run `depmod -a`

IIRC that's all.

hid-multitouch..5.10.109-venus-10.zip

2 |3000

Related Resources