question

twhittleone avatar image
twhittleone asked

Smart Shunt IP65 Cerbo GX Power

Hi,

I have recently brought a smart shunt IP65 and a cerbo GX. I'm having various issues and one of the troubleshooting paths I'm running down has led me to the fact that my wiring is slightly different to the diagram.

Attached is the image of my wiring. solar-wiring.jpg

I believe the wires in orange are incorrect and should go to the smart shunt and not the battery. My issue is the smart shunt has a M10 bolt, and the cables I have are M8. I can potentially buy a new cable to go from the MPPT to the smart shunt but the cerbox GX comes with a M8 ring and I can't swap this to an M10 ring.

Can anyone provide any guidance on what I could do here.

Question 1) should the cerbo and the MPPT be connected to the smart shunt load side and not the battery?

Question 2) If the above is correct, how do I connect a cerbo GX power cable to a M10 bolt on the smart shunt?

Many Thanks!

Tom

cerbo gxSmartShunt
solar-wiring.jpg (122.7 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

Your drawing is wrong. The orange wires should go to the shunt load terminal.

The only connection to the battery negative is the shunt battery terminal.

The only connection to the shunt battery terminal is the battery negative.

Everything else connects to the load/system connection of the shunt such as loads, chargers, inverters, solar power, chassis ground, starter battery (if fitted) etc. Every bit if electricity going into or out of the battery must pass through the shunt for it to be measured.

For the MPPT as you say buy a new cable with an M10 terminal. For the Cerbo you should be able to buy a red M10 crimp terminal and a crimping tool.I have put some examples.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154882683545

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353176114215

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.