question

seanv avatar image
seanv asked

Smartshunt will not connect -

Smartshunt will not connect - will not update- bluetooth keeps disconnecting - plenty of signal showing . Very poor quality product for the price.

SmartShuntBluetooth
6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi @SEANV

Did you in the end succeed in updating the product?

If not, can you please tell what kind of phone you are using and post a service report here that is made after trying to update? This describes how to make a service report: https://ve3.nl/VictronConnect_How-to-create-a-VictronConnect-Service-Report

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
seanv avatar image seanv Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·
There's no email to send the report to, how clever! If I am not within 12 inches of the product, it will not connect, yet I can receive the monitoring data across the entire RV. I should have purchased the battery with the BT monitor built in. I will be sure to warn others of the limitations on this product.
1 Like 1 ·

Hi @SEANV

Thank you for the extra information.

In the last few weeks we have received a limited number of reports where the range has suddenly decreased a lot. These were all using the same type of phone, a Samsung A33 5G. Therefore I was wondering what type of phone you are using.

Regarding the service report: can you save that onto you mobile and then attach it to a comment here (using the upload file icon above the message editor)?

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
seanv avatar image seanv Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·
This is an Iphone SE - 2022 model with the 5g. It's not the phone, I easily connect to tons of other bluetooth devices with no trouble at all. Your device goes from full bars (yet still can't connect) to zero bars, just about every 10 seconds or so. I've read hundreds of other connectivity complaints. It's your product, not the phones.
0 Likes 0 ·
seanv avatar image seanv seanv commented ·

I'm not familiar with "save that onto you mobile and then attach it to a comment here (using the upload file icon above the message editor)?" so, no.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @SEANV

"Your device goes from full bars (yet still can't connect) to zero bars, just about every 10 seconds or so".

This sounds like a problem with the product indeed, but I believe with this specific product. In other words, I believe that the SmartShunt you have is broken and I would advice you to contact the seller to have it replaced under warranty.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Please try working through the Bluetooth troubleshooting guide in the links.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seanv avatar image seanv commented ·
I've worked through all of the troubleshooting - the signal is simply so weak that I must be within 12 inches of the product to connect and it still only connects for a short period before disconnecting again. This product should be sold as a periodic battery checking device and certainly not a battery monitoring device. Which it is not.
0 Likes 0 ·