question

nalla1 avatar image
nalla1 asked

SmartShunt “Load Minus” connection

I have 2 12v Eco-Worthy Li batteries connected in series, for 24 volts. The + and - connect directly to my 2,000w converter.

The SmartShunt manual says to connect the shunt’s Load Minus to “the negative terminal of the DC electrical system”.

Would that mean connecting the Load Minus to my earth ground? The manual said to only connect Battery Minus to the battery negative terminal.

Again, my battery & inverter negative are wired together.

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

The only connection to the battery negative is the shunt battery terminal.

The only connection to the shunt battery terminal is the battery negative.

Everything else connects to the load/system connection of the shunt. This is all loads, chargers, inverters, solar power, chassis ground etc. Every bit if electricity going into or out of the battery must pass through the shunt for it to be measured and counted.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nalla1 avatar image nalla1 commented ·

I’m not understanding…

My earth ground is separate from the battery negative. The chassis are connected to my grounding rod.

Battery negative goes directly to inverter negative.

So, which connection does the SmartShunt Load Minus go to?

0 Likes 0 ·
pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell nalla1 commented ·
If you have a connection from battery negative to the chassis then this is moved from the battery negative to the shunt load terminal. If you do not have a connection from the battery negative to the chassis then no problem. I listed it as an example of everything must go to shunt load terminal because it is the common problem that people leave it on the battery.
0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

You must remove your inverter negative from the battery bank negative. The only thing that may connect to the battery bank negative is the "battery negative" side of the SmartShunt - no exceptions. Your inverter negative -and all other system negatives such as other loads, solar controllers, other chargers, etc- connects to the "load negative" side of the SmartShunt.

Please make sure you read and fully understand the user and installation manual or consult a professional for assistance if needed!

2 |3000

nalla1 avatar image
nalla1 answered ·

Thank you! That clears it up. Now it makes sense.

2 |3000