question

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) asked

Venus OS v3.10~21 available for testing

UPDATE 2023-07-26: this thread closed, please see v3.10~22 thread.

Good day!,

Per last weekend, a new pre-release of v3.10 is available, v3.10~11 to be precise.

I'm making a new post to start with a clean list. Differences between the previous version and ~11 are in the change log below.

First some of the v3.10 highlights:

Completely renewed Marine MFD / HTML5 App

1685824333731.png

(click for large)

And here a more extended system, with more tanks, and more energy sources:

1685824162825.png

(click for large)

Note that above two screenshots are taken from the design files, it might differ a bit from actual implemenation.

These are screenshots taken from the new implementation, but there I'm not able to now have them embedded in actual look on a marine MFD like above:
1685821774230.png

And white mode:

1685821833984.png

And for comparison, here is a screenshot of the old version:

1685823688829.png

Next, there are three more improvements related to Generators

1. adds support for ComAp generator controllers. Integration via ethernet/ModbusTCP; using the ComAP CM Ethernet module.
  2. adds resettable down counting service interval for generators
  3. add an alarm when generator is not in autostart mode for more than 10 minutes. This is to help prevent systems shutting down because during service someone had to enable manual mode; and then forgot to put it back to auto mode. The alarm is optional and can be enabled from generator start/stop settings.

Here is a screenshot on how to enable this on a CoMap generator controller.

1685821985137.png

(click for large)

The data that is being read from the controller is:

• AC Power, Voltage, Current and Frequency and Energy
  • Engine speed, coolant temperature, Oil Pressure, Load percentage, Operating hours and starter battery voltage.
  • Status (init, stopped, error, preheat, and so forth)
  • Auto-start status (off, manual, auto, test)

We'll later publish a list of ModbusTCP registers.

For the developers amongst you, the driver that reads that data is public; commit here. And we'll be looking to integrate other popular generator controllers as well. In case anyone can help; or has a generator with for example DSE or Deif, then please post some details (which model / modules for example) and perhaps it can be of help. A large part of the work is figuring out which model is the popular one, which is the right protocol to use, and so forth. As you can see in that commit, the actual integration is not that much code.

Then, onto the other two new features, service interval and autostart-is-off-alarm:

Here is how the new service interval is visible in the menu:

1685822170349.png

Here is how to configure and reset the new service interval:

1685822077955.png

Here is how it looks when the interval is exceeded:

1685822143912.png

Still open for this is to show this, for a whole fleet, on VRM.

The new autostart alarm setting:

1685822305012.png

Short explanation when enabling it:

1685822326891.png

Alarm notification:

1685822341197.png

Complete changelog is below.

There are more changes, full change log below.

Introduction to Venus OS beta testing & how to join/install

In case you don't know what this message is about, please start with reading this link, which explains the Venus OS beta program. Venus OS is the software running on all our GX devices, such as the Cerbo GX.

How to post an issue?

By posting an answer below. Do please keep all findings organised: one answer issue per issue. So first check the existing threads if your issue has already been seen. And if it does, add a comment saying "me too". And preferably some more details. And in case its not listed yet, add a new Answer.

Note that Answers and Comments are two different things on this portal.

Lastly, before posting issues, preferably first revert to the latest official release (v2.93), to double check if the issue you're seeing was present there as well. Regressions require a different treatment than other issues and bugs.

And include information about the results/differences in behaviour in your report.

Running, Node-RED, Kevinā€™s GuiMods or other add-ons?

Then please at least say so in your bug report.

GuiMods and other 3rd party add-ons: donā€™t report your gui issues here. Do it elsewhere instead.

Changes made by us often cause a compatibility issue with the GuiMods; and these betas report pages are for official firmware only.

Changes v3.10~21

• fix bug in digital inputs, related to recent generator changes.

Venus OS large

• signalk-server: fix issue that caused the app overview page on Navico MFDs be slowish every 30 orso seconds.

Changes v3.10~18 -> v3.10~20

• Stability improvements related to recent digital inputs change icm generator/transferswitch status
  • Internal changes

Changes v3.10~17 -> v3.10~18

Various improvements to the new HTML5 Marine MFD App:

• Update the keep-alive mechanism to include missing data
  • Add Amps to battery overview component
  • Change theme settings menu UI&UX
  • Fix Remote Console control buttons
  • Fix "Request denied for security" issue

Changes v3.10~16 -> v3.10~17

• Add new solar and wind priority feature for boats, motorhomes, trailers, service vans and other systems that (a) hook up to shore power regularly, (b) have solar or wind or other renewables, and (c) have a Multi or Quattro. More on this asap.
  • Add ā€œstoppingā€ state to the generator. Its now first running, then, if enabled, cooling down as long as configured in GX, then 15 seconds stopping to accomodate generators that take a while to stop, and only after those seconds the inverter/charger will reconnect to mains; if available. Fixes issues with generators that take a while to stop in combination with the recently added cooling down option.
  • Digital inputs: when configured to measure generator- (or perhaps more precise, external transfer switch- ) state, pass that info over to the Multi. Used for new solar in wind priority option when used on systems with shore, generator, external transferswitch and Multi; rather than Quattro.

Changes v3.10~12 -> v3.10~16

• Fix issue in CAN-Bus timing for Ekranos, as well as RaspberryPis icm FD HaTs based on the MCP2518FD chipset.
  • Add support for Quattro-II 12/3000/120-2x50 2x120V
  • Add support for 12V Pylon batteries

Venus OS Large:

• node-red-contrib-victron v1.4.33

• When 'only changes' is checked make sure the initial is reported.
    • Updated documentation.
    • Support for reading from and writing to ESS schedules.
    • New examples: generator, load shedding and sum power inputs.
    • Don't show rounding on output node.
    • Minor fixes in the services file.

Changes v3.10~11 -> v3.10~12

• Marine MFD HTML5 App: improve load speed on the MFD as well as reduce CPU load on the GX device induced by opening that app, by changing the underlying data connection. Previously this used Mosquitto MQTT broker (and a python script), now this uses a new broker called FlashMQ (and a Cpp plugin). Its mainly an (enormous) performance improvement. For comparison, on a system having 1500 data points, in the old solution this took 3 seconds and 2900 TCP packets to transmit. In the new solution this is down to 10ms and 179 TCP packets. Tech details in next bullet point:
  • Local MQTT websockets connection: use FlashMQ + dbus-flashmq instead of Mosquitto + dbus-mqtt, see above for details. Details:
    • FlashMQ and Mosquitto are now running side by side.
    • Local websocket requests, ie Marine HTML5 app, are served by FlashMQ + dbus-flashmq. All other requests, ie local MQTT requests as well as all that comes from VRM, still goes over Mosquitto + dbus-mqtt + mqtt-rpc. Changing that is the next stel.
    • Further details in this github issue. Though please don't clutter that issue with all sorts of requests, doing so triggers mails to many developers, and I'd like to keep focus / efficiency.

Changes v3.10~9 -> v3.10~11

• vrm real time mode / mqtt: fix bug where a network issue could cause the data connection to VRM be lost, and real time display to not work properly.
  • Modbus-TCP: fix Multi/Quattro state register reporting "External control", while it should not.
  • Renewed HTML5/MFD app:
    • The back button has been moved to the footer making it reachable on Simrad devices.
    • The pagination buttons are now in the center of the footer.
    • Sensors in the Environment tab are now identifiable by the custom name of the sensor or device.
    • Implement data unavailable state for tanks.
    • Increase button touch area.
    • Fix tanks not being displayed correctly.
    • Fix Inverter control.
    • More contrast on the settings page.
  • GUI
    • Update translations
    • Add support for new Quattro-II 2x120V model
  • Various internal changes to prepare for the full featured version of Dynamic ESS, that works with Solar irradiance forecasts and dynamic tariffs as we have in the Netherlands. Proof of concept here.
  • raspberrypi: support the RS485 on the Waveshare RS485 CAN HAT (B). Thank you herrfrei!

Changes v3.10~8 -> v3.10~9

• Add support for Pylontech Pelio-L model, including auto detect and configuration. (DVCC on, SVS off)
  • Fix bug in remote firmware updates for systems of three units and more. Bug was introduced earlier in v3.10 beta series.
  • Complete ModbusTCP mapping list for unit ids above 255. From now on it will not longer be required to get into difficulties when having a VE.Direct-connected or other type of device that has a VRM Instance above 255.

Changes v3.10~7 -> v3.10~8

• GUI: Fix energy meter showing only a blank page. This was missing in ~7.

Changes v3.10~2 -> v3.10~7

General:

• Allow temperature sensors to measure down to -40 Ā°C, was -20 Ā°C.

Under water / developer / Venus OS Large:

• Add wifi for raspberrypi zero2w and rpi4. Thank you @Bathnm for your work on this!
  • Remote VE.Bus firmware updates: changes to accommodate new models.
  • NodeJS: update from v14.17.6 to v18.16.0. This brings us on the latest version of an LTS branch: all good for some time to come. Thank you @Bathnm for your work on this!
  • Various updates to system packages, including security issues.
  • MQTT: pre-install, but not activate, a new broker: FlashMQ. We're replacing Mosquitto, plus our dbus-mqtt service, by FlashMQ + dbus-flashmq. Further details are here.

Changes v3.00 -> v3.10~2

• New html5/Marine MFD app. First time weā€™re beta testing this new UI. Its a complete redesign (totally new look including larger font size, adds tank levels, adds temperature and humidity, and more improvements) looking forward to hear what everyone thinks of it. Some things still need fixing:
    • Temperature, Humidity and Pressure sensors are not shown using their name.
    • On Simrad, the tank levels are not all aligned on the left side
    • On smaller split views, the section title, graphs and values are very squeezed together
    • On Raymarine the component in the top left overlaps the home button
    • Scroll behavior is different when component is horizontally aligned (pagination vs scroll to see more tanks)
    • Locking controls not clickable in horizontal split
    • When more than 2 batteries, battery component overflows. Not sure if this is a bug or a feature
    • Changing the units to Fahrenheit in remote console doesnā€™t change them in html5
  • Support for ComAp generator controller, details above
  • Adds resettable down counting service interval for generators
  • Add option to get an alarm when generator is not in autostart mode for more than 10 minutes
  • Fix VRM Portal connection for a small batch of EasySolar-II GXes (double VRM Portal ID)
  • Add Inverter and Multi RS DC Power path; fixes an issue with the EV Charger.

Developers:

• Change how venus-data files are handled:
    • pass extraction result as argument to the post-hook ('success' or 'extraction-failed'), so it can cleanup in case of failure and/or stop continuing.
    • look for venus-data-*.suffix as well, so the file name can be changed to describe what it does. Multiple files can be present now.

Previous posts

Venus OS
8 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Good morning! Per just now, I made v3.10~12 available for testing as a release candidate.

The biggest change is an "under water" one: we changed the software that is involved in the data connection of the HTML5 Marine MFD App.

More precisely, it now uses FlashMQ as its MQTT Broker, instead of the former Mosquitto. I'll add more details in above change log. Note that this will, or might, also affect people that use MQTT for their own integration.

Have a good day, Matthijs

Ps. for any reactions on this, please add a new answer below rather than replying on this comment. So then the comments here on the main question are reserved for updates from my side. Thank you!

2 Likes 2 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Hi all, just now I added the details of v3.10~16 to the change log above.

And be informed that weā€™re preparing a v3.01 official version. It contains various of the recently made bug fixes.

All the best, and enjoy your weekend, Matthijs

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Morning! v3.10~18 is now available for testing. Fixes issues in the html5 marine mfd app.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
Hi all, just now I released v3.10~20 for beta testing. Minor changes.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
Hi all, earlier tonight we made v3.10~17 available for beta testing.

Some small changes, as well as adding support for a nice new feature about solar and wind priority for system using shore power - like boats, campers, service vans and so forth.

But that needs a proper explanation and will follow later this week - also; it needs inverter/charger (Multi and Quattro) firmware update, which is strongly recommended to be taken care of by trained professional only.

-1 Like -1 Ā·
jwfrary avatar image jwfrary mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
This is awsome something I have been looking for an elegant solution to for a while other than turning AC ignore on based on battery SOC or voltage which is pretty clunky as an approach, the mechanism needs to be more sophisticated than than able to account for the SOC, loads, forecasted consumption and Solar yield and then respond to additional consumption too.

Looking forward to testing it out, the boats on a project at the moment so couple of weeks and then we can do a deep dive into it.

Happy to collaborate testing specifics where needed.

We have

Cerbo GX (currently using GUImods for the external transfer switch feature) but that's optional in our install.

Multi plus 24/3000/70/50 x2 in parralel with external transfer switch.

Cummins Onan 7kw with autostart from cerbo gx

Digital Multi Control for setting generator current limit.

150/45 Mppt with 4x 320 watt panels 2x2

Lynx BMS with 2x Distributors and 2x 200ah 24v smart lithium batteries

Wakespeed ws500 and delstar 200amp alt

SIMRAD Nso evo2

4G/3G internet access

0 Likes 0 Ā·
derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas jwfrary commented Ā·
As far as I can tell from the documentation available so far, this new solar priority feature only applies to battery charging. It still has no function of solar priority for ac loads, so you still may need to make use of the ac ignore.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ derrick thomas commented Ā·
Hi, thats correct. Its about (re)charging; and to a certain extend about powering dc loads from renewables.

It doesn't cover AC loads.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
17 Answers
Marc Elvery avatar image
Marc Elvery answered Ā·

On my test RPI, with just a MPPT connected, when i open the html5 app it only shows "connecting" with a spinning blue circle when using https. When using http it's fine.

It doesn't show the voltage of the MPPT, the former interface did show this.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bathnm avatar image bathnm commented Ā·
@Marc Elvery Check that you have MQTT enabled under the services menu.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
Marc Elvery avatar image Marc Elvery bathnm commented Ā·
it's working with http, not with https (remote console does work with https)
0 Likes 0 Ā·
venus3000 avatar image venus3000 Marc Elvery commented Ā·

That seems to be an issue with the self signed certificate which is used for the https-connection. Possible solution: Accept this certificate within your browser.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mapeje avatar image
mapeje answered Ā·

Does the new firmware also support the smaller Waveshare RS485 CAN HAT for Pi Zero 2W? https://www.waveshare.com/rs485-can-hat.htm. To run N2K from the PiZ2W

2 comments
2 |3000

bathnm avatar image bathnm commented Ā·
@mapeje I have no idea without someone in the community testing. I suspect all the kernel drivers are there, what maybe missing is the relevant overlay file required at boot. This is easily fixed by adding the required file to /u-boot/overlays/ and modifying the /u-boot/config.txt accordingly. These files do not get included in a firmware updates only in the initial image used to flash the sd-card, which is updated for every release. Aka a firmware update through the UI does not touch anything in /u-boot.
1 Like 1 Ā·
venus3000 avatar image venus3000 commented Ā·

This HAT from WaveShare works well with 3.10~12/~16 (@rpi3 too). I have installed that via SetupHelper/VeCanSetup with the selections "a hat", "5 ) Waveshare 1-channel CANbus Hat 12 MHz crystal" and within Remote Console --> "Services/can8" --> CanBUS-Profile = "CanBUS BMS (500kbit/s)".

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mike-r avatar image
mike-r answered Ā·

I had previously reported an issue with my black water tank data not showing up on the MFD app which I was able to correct by changing that to a different tank number. It has been the same tank number as my freshwater tank.

Yesterday I updated my Garmin 8612xsv to the latest software and now my tank data and inverter data no longer show up in the app. This looks to be something that broke in the Garmin update. Not sure if the fix will come via Garmin update or Venus OS update. Garmin updates take months so hopefully it will be a Venus OS update.

1688840328412.png

1688840328412.png (3.3 MiB)
6 comments
2 |3000

mike-r avatar image mike-r commented Ā·

img-4188.pngImage CaptionI reverted to 3.10~11 today and the MFD app works in that version so it wasnā€™t the Garmin update after all. I then went back to ~12 and I had the same issues. The pic with the tank data is with ~11 installed and then the other is with ~12 today.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
img-4188.png (1.4 MiB)
img-4189.png (1.3 MiB)
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ mike-r commented Ā·
Hi Mike, thank you, noted!
0 Likes 0 Ā·
dansonamission avatar image dansonamission mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
We have the same issue, its not specific to an MFD as its the same on a computer. The AC details are missing, the tanks section says NaN% and the device section is empty.

If I leave the page open for quite a long time, some times the data will appear on all tiles.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Barbara (Victron Energy) avatar image Barbara (Victron Energy) ā™¦ dansonamission commented Ā·
Hi @Mike R , your tanks should all show in the latest beta version.

@dansonamission I think that is an unrelated issue. Which version are you running, and do you see the tanks in the remote console?

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mike-r avatar image mike-r Barbara (Victron Energy) ā™¦ commented Ā·

I actually tried yesterday while I was at my boat with v3.10~18. When the app first came up I thought the issue was resolved. Then I went into the tanks tab and my black water was missing. I later noticed that there is now a ~20. Not sure if that would resolve this issue. Here are some screen grabs that I took yesterday.

IMG_4276.pngIMG_4277.png

0 Likes 0 Ā·
img-4276.png (1.4 MiB)
img-4277.png (1.1 MiB)
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ mike-r commented Ā·

Hi! I expect v3.10~20 to fix the issue.

Weā€™ll also be doing further testing.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
wolferl avatar image
wolferl answered Ā·

Hi all

I installed 3.10-12 today and have some strange behaviour in Node Red / influxDB

Since I updated all values exported to the DB are one minute late. Saying that, I cannot display actual values either in InfluxDB or Grafana anymore.

I read the values via MQTT, publish them into global variables, collect them into an object and export it to InfluxDB. This worked flawlessly in 3.10-3 but stopped with this update.

I saw that there were some changes with MQTT, retaining and keep alive. My Node Red flow sends the keep alive message all 25 seconds (empty message). I'm not sure if that has something to do with the timestamp 1 minute late...

Any suggestions are welcome to fix the issue...

Thank you

8 comments
2 |3000

Hi, noted - thank you - we'll look into this.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Hi Wolferl, do you connect go mqtt on port 1883?

Or via websockets on 900-something?

Iā€™m asking since we only changed the code behind the websockets port. Port related to mqtt hasnā€™t changed yet.

You could even try yourself that change that over to FlashMQ as well and see if that solves it.

Changing that is something weā€™re going to do anyway.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Ps. flashmq is already available now for you on port 1884
0 Likes 0 Ā·
wolferl avatar image wolferl mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Hi

I'm sorry for answering late, I was on vacation with no access to the internet...

I connected via port 1883

I changed now everything to port 1884, VenusOS 3.10-20

Solved the InfluxDB issue by setting the time from Nanoseconds to Milliseconds, no clue why this works better...

Did the keep alive message change with flashmq? I still send an empty message to R/XXXX/keepalive, but that has no effect...

Tank you

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ wolferl commented Ā·

Hi, vacation without internet: that sounds good!

Glad to hear it works again. Yes the keepalive works differently.

Further details on that here: https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/issues/1098.

For any questions, pls post on community, not github. Thank you!

0 Likes 0 Ā·

Hi

I read the page already. I read as well https://github.com/victronenergy/dbus-flashmq#keep-alive but it looks like I'm not smart enough to get it:

• If I use the new method and send a read request to "/R/XXX/keepalive" nothing happens (neither with Nodered nor with MQTT explorer)
  • If I use the legacy method and send a read request to "/R/XXX/system/0/Serial" the keep alive works, but only if I do this via MQTT explorer, If I send it via Nodered, it doesn't work...

Any Idea?

Thank's

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ wolferl commented Ā·
Hi @Wolferl , I did the same just now, using MQTT Explorer, and it worked straight away.

1. Open MQTT Explorer and connect to FlashMQ, meaning port 1884

2. See what comes in, nearly nothing. Which is as expected when you don't have VRM or something else open.

3. Click the keepalive thing, change the first character into a R, and click publish.

4. Lots of data streaming in. - success,

(I wanted to paste a picture here, but can't - we have a hickup at the portal today wrt pictures)

Hope this helps.

Matthijs.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
That's odd but good news. Let me do a clean install and check.

Thank you

0 Likes 0 Ā·
hcgrande avatar image
hcgrande answered Ā·

Ƅter installation of the 3.10-12 firmware, the Multiplus has disappeared on my HTML5 app on Raymarine Axiom. downgrading to 3.00 and it shows up again.

1 comment
2 |3000

noted, thank you.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
ppr avatar image
ppr answered Ā·

Why is it not possible to online update the release? I installed beta 15 now. Still not possible for online update.

3 comments
2 |3000

Hi, I don't understand what issue you're having? For me, beta 15 installed without issues.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
ppr avatar image ppr mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

I am useing a RPi4 - maybe thats why you can not update to the latest candidate?

1689356455460.png

0 Likes 0 Ā·
1689356455460.png (150.4 KiB)
peregrines avatar image peregrines ppr commented Ā·

I am also using Rpi4 (8GB) and it is installing with no problem!

bildschirmfoto-2023-07-18-um-225750.png

0 Likes 0 Ā·
towatai avatar image
towatai answered Ā·

i understand that you are only a small team but it would still be nice if after a beta release at least a corresponding changelog would be available... somehow you do not seem to get a spin in there ;-)

So please, post changelogs for the .15 and .16 version (as of today, 15.07.23)

1 comment
2 |3000

Hey @towatai , yes, youā€™re right. Iā€™ve been a bit distracted by other things recently.

Iā€™ll update it shortly!

2 Likes 2 Ā·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered Ā·

@mvader (Victron Energy) is there more information about this change in v3.10~17?

• Digital inputs: when configured to measure generator- (or perhaps more precise, external transfer switch- ) state, pass that info over to the Multi. Used for new solar in wind priority option when used on systems with shore, generator, external transferswitch and Multi; rather than Quattro.
3 comments
2 |3000

Hi Kevin, the change in Venus OS is here: https://github.com/victronenergy/dbus-digitalinputs/commit/cb99e1e8d53ebf55809c75dbf74539ec29286865.

What the Multi does with that info is, in case this new feature is enabled, disable it again: of a generator is running, you want the system to charge at max power; instead of throttling its charging in order to make space for wind and solar.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

As I understood it, the generator digital input was intended to indicate that the generator is running, however this does not indicate that the generator is in fact supplying power. Shouldn't /Ac/Control/RemoteGeneratorSelected be true only if the active input of the Multi/Quattro is actually fed by a generator?

I do not think the Multi/Quattro knows if it's active AC source is a generator so this probably needs to be handled in the GX device.

A better place for this might be in startstop.py where all this is known already.

There might also be a need to reset this parameter should the digital input be reprogrammed to another function. Otherwise the system might be stuck in "generator" mode until the Multi/Quattro is reset.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ Kevin Windrem commented Ā·
Not all systems use the GX generator start stop function.

Iā€™ll think about it a bit, but what prevents an installer to wire that input the external transfer switch in such way that the input only becomes active when generator is running and in use?

0 Likes 0 Ā·
nesswill avatar image
nesswill answered Ā·

@mvader (Victron Energy) and adding to Kevin Windrem question. where do you find this new feature as i have a wind turbine and would like to see wind on VRM/Cerbo Front Page but not as a PV Charger as it only shows "Watts"

• Add new solar and wind priority feature for boats, motorhomes, trailers, service vans and other systems that (a) hook up to shore power regularly, (b) have solar or wind or other renewables, and (c) have a Multi or Quattro. More on this asap.
2 comments
2 |3000

Hi @nesswill , that feature is only going to help prioritise wind power over shore power; not visualise it Iā€™m afraid.

1 Like 1 Ā·
nesswill avatar image nesswill mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
ok thank you.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
prein avatar image
prein answered Ā·

Since release 3.0 I am experiencing issues with nmea 2k. The network is unstable, cerbo is giving somewhat 30% nmea errors. Autopilot (especially digital compass) is not working.

When I disconnect the cerbo physically everything works flawlessly.

In may with version 2.9xxx and I think beta 3 all was fine.

Ready to help troubleshooting if needed

3 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Prein , thank you for the report! Could you try to install an older version, to see if indeed then those N2K errors are gone?

Older versions, for the Cerbo GX, are available for download here: http://updates.victronenergy.com/feeds/venus/release/images/einstein/.

Best regards, Matthijs

0 Likes 0 Ā·
prein avatar image prein mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Stupid me.. tried today with a new cable (borrowed from neighbor) and all problems gone. Conclusion: cable defective.. Sorry for the trouble
0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ prein commented Ā·
Hi Prein,

Ok good to know that its solved - thank you for letting me know!

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered Ā·
1 comment
2 |3000

Hi Matthias, no not normal; weā€™ll look into that - thank you!
0 Likes 0 Ā·
dansonamission avatar image
dansonamission answered Ā·

The data within the battery circles is a little too large for the circle. In your examples in the first post they fit much nicer.

batteries.jpg

batteries.jpg (23.5 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Yes, the circles are too small. We're looking into it!
0 Likes 0 Ā·
Mark avatar image
Mark answered Ā·

Disabled my mppt remotely through VE connect,then a few hours later updated Cerbo to V3.10~18.went to re-enable the mppt but it wasnā€™t available in VE connect or showing on the dashboard, but was showing in the device list.

reverted back to V3.01 and it was available in VE connect and once enabled appeared on the dashboard!ā€¦.

img-8883.png
img-8887.png

img-8883.png (192.8 KiB)
img-8887.png (252.0 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

Mark avatar image Mark commented Ā·
0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ Mark commented Ā·
Hi Mark, Iā€™m not sure what to make of that / what change could cause this. Is it reproducible?
0 Likes 0 Ā·
Mark avatar image Mark mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Hi Matthijs,

reproduced this earlier with the mppt dropping from VRM and Vcitron connect,your welcome to log into it

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered Ā·

Bug in dbus_digitalinputs.py:

The changes made to refresh RemoteGeneratorSelected only runs once.

In class Generator(PinAlarm):

A repeating call is set up as a Glib timer:

self._timer = GLib.timeout_add(30000, lambda: self.select_generator(self.level ^ self.settings['invert'] ^ 1))

However, select_generator does not return a value so _timer runs once then exits.

select_generator () must return True in order for _timer to remain active.

Also, RemoteGeneratorSelected will be set to True even if the generator is not the selected input. One solution is to filter the generator digital input externally by including an external transfer switch dry contact so it only goes active if the generator is running and the generator is actually switched to THE AC input. But a Quattro has two inputs and this mechanism won't fully filter the generator digital input since the Quattro could be switched to the other input.

I am adding code in my ExternalTransferSwitch package to filter the generator digital input internally. This code could be added to Victron's stock version.

In class Generator:

In init (), add:

self.ac1InputTypeItem = None
        self.ac2InputTypeItem = None

Change select_generator () to:

def select_generator(self, v):

# Find all vebus services, and let them know
        try:
            services = [n for n in self.bus.list_names() if n.startswith(
                'com.victronenergy.vebus.')]
            for n in services:
#### added
                # determine if selected input is the generator
                inputIsGenerator = False
                activeSource = VeDbusItemImport(self.bus, n, "/Ac/ActiveIn/ActiveInput").get_value ()
                if activeSource == 0:
                    if self.ac1InputTypeItem == None:
                        self.ac1InputTypeItem = VeDbusItemImport(self.bus,
                            "com.victronenergy.settings", "/Settings/SystemSetup/AcInput1")
                    if self.ac1InputTypeItem != None and self.ac1InputTypeItem.get_value () == 2:
                        inputIsGenerator = True
                elif activeSource == 1:
                    if self.ac2InputTypeItem == None:
                        self.ac2InputTypeItem = VeDbusItemImport(self.bus,
                            "com.victronenergy.settings", "/Settings/SystemSetup/AcInput2")
                    if self.ac2InputTypeItem != None and self.ac2InputTypeItem.get_value () == 2:
                        inputIsGenerator = True
                # active input is not the generator - release control
                if not inputIsGenerator:
                    v = 0
#### end add

self.bus.call_async(n, '/Ac/Control/RemoteGeneratorSelected', None,
                    'SetValue', 'v', [v], None, None)
        except dbus.exceptions.DBusException:
            print ("DBus exception setting RemoteGeneratorSelected")
            traceback.print_exc()

#### added
# must return True so the GLib timer doesn't exit after first call
        return True
#### end add

1 comment
2 |3000

Fixed! Thank you @Kevin Windrem
0 Likes 0 Ā·
nesswill avatar image
nesswill answered Ā·

After the latest update to Venus OS v3.10~20 one of my Inverters RS 48/600 (two running in parallel) has lost the custom name, see below. Was there in the previous version OS v3.10~18.

rs-1.jpg

and the other is fine?

rs-2.jpg

rs-1.jpg (36.7 KiB)
rs-2.jpg (44.7 KiB)
4 comments
2 |3000

nesswill avatar image nesswill commented Ā·
Renamed in Victron Connect and seems ok, odd.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ nesswill commented Ā·
Hi Nesswill, yes really odd. Iā€™ll keep an eye out for other reports.
1 Like 1 Ā·
nesswill avatar image nesswill mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Same problem in Venus OS v3.10~21 well sore off

The custom name of the first inverter in VRM is correct and in Victron connect but not in the Device list in Remote Console.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
nesswill avatar image nesswill nesswill commented Ā·

Now ok in and displaying correctly in Venus OS v3.10~23.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered Ā·

I ran my Genny for a while today and noticed when I shut it down that the hour meter for today was incorrect. It displayed much more time than I know I had ran it. Upon further investigation I found that In the main generator start/stop settings menu, the run time for today is correct but in the daily run time menu it is exactly double, also on the generator overview tile. This is with beta 3.10~21. I'm not sure exactly what beta version of 3.10~xx this started, but I'm certain that it was working correctly on 3.0. The clock is set correctly and this is the only run of the generator in several days so it can't be adding multiple days together. The fact that the daily list menu timer shows exactly double the value of the main menu timer seems a good clue.

I am using guimods and exttransferswitch. @Kevin Windrem I don't think there is anything in those mods that would cause this behavior but if I am wrong please correct me.

I have attached screen shots of the menus and the stock generator tile (not guimods)screenshot-20230728-204616.pngscreenshot-20230728-204940.pngscreenshot-20230728-204641.png

3 comments
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented Ā·

I looked at the code and Run time in the start/stop menu and the time in the STATUS box of the generator overview use /Runtime parameter. The TODAY RUNTIME tile uses /TodayRuntime. /Runtime resets when the generator stops. So it's likely that these times WILL differ if the generator doesn't run constantly.

If possible, you should uninstall GuiMods AND ExtTransferSwitch and test to see if the differences you are seeing persist in the stock code. Report back either way so Victron can address this if it's a problem in their code.

GuiMods DOES change generator time accumulation: GuiMods checks to see if the generator is actually running (either via the Generator digital input or generator AC present). If not, time does not accumulate.

<Edit> removed statement about actually running not stopping time accumulation -- cockpit error. It DOES work.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas Kevin Windrem commented Ā·
@Kevin Windrem The Genny was started and ran one time only for the total run time for the day, so there were no multiple start/stops, so I would expect the timers to be the same. The total runtime for the day was actually 3hrs 25mins, so there is something not right with the accumulation. I will be travelling most of the day tomorrow but when I stop for the night I will do some further testing as you requested and report back.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas Kevin Windrem commented Ā·
@Kevin Windrem I have done some more tests and there does appear to be an issue related to exttransferswitch and 3.10~21. I will open an issue on your GitHub and post further details so as not to take up more space on this thread.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered Ā·

I'm still seeing the old mfd/html5 app display. Is there a different address other than http://venus.local/app/ for the new layout?

3 comments
2 |3000

Hi, no; its the same address. Most likely you're running an older version of Venus OS.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
This is on 3.10~21. it ended up being caused by a cached version of the page. Don't know why but clearing the browser cache didn't update the mfd page. I had to turn off the wifi and force the browser to 'offline' mode then turn the wifi back on. It's working now. Thanks.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ derrick thomas commented Ā·
ok; strange. But this is the second report I hear about this. I'll make a note to double check the caching instructions of the prior and the new version.

Note that, perhaps, hitting CTRL-F5 would have also solved it - saves the trouble of going through offline mode.

0 Likes 0 Ā·

Related Resources