question

Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack asked

Victron Connect App Datastore using too much space

Good morning,

I have a Huawei Y6s with Android 9 and a 32 GByte Memory card and I was just running out of space.

Android suggested me to delete some unused Apps and it suggested the Victron Connect App!

WTF???

I use it every day!

Looking I to the App settings I discovered that it collected 16,7GByte of data!

Can someone explain me what this is?

Last time I cleaned up the data store, I lost all of my config files and if I search my phone for the .vcsf files I can not find them. I have to save them before I delete the 16,7GByte monster.

Can someone help me out?

VictronConnect
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Mine is only 202MB.

You must have a lot of config files.

0 Likes 0 ·
Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
I have 8x BMV702, 3x SmartSolar, 1x BlueSolar, 1x MultiPlus-II and 5x SmartShunt.

I have from each 2 Config Files with different date stored. Hence 36 files.

Additional around 100 files from my customers.

0 Likes 0 ·
7 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi Michelle, I’ll check if we can do something.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack commented ·
Thankyou.

The Data store grow with each time I use the ConnectApp and this is several times a day.

Also it is very tiring to save a config file and then have to use the "share" option with EMail to get the .vcsf files one by one out because they are not stored on the device as singel files.

0 Likes 0 ·
Michelle Konzack answered ·

It is now 7 days ago and currently I have ONLY 10 configuration files saved but in 7 days (I deleted the data store after I wrote my initial message and SHARED all 116 config files by EMail since it is not possible to download them) and now I have again more then 2 GByte of datastore...

...and this is not funny at all!

In end of next month I will have again a 16GByte datastore

screenshot-20230711-112123-comandroidsettings.jpg

2 |3000

P.S.: This f...ing Android suggested me again to remove Firefox Beta (680MByte) and Victron Connect (2200MByte) to make space in my storrage.

And not only this, Firefox Beta and Victron Connect are in the list of unused Apps!

WTF?

I use them all the day and I close/restart them only if my Huawei Y6s start becoming slow over the time.

2 |3000

jperez (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
jperez (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hello Michelle,

We have performed some tests here and everything seems ok regarding storage usage.

Settings files size is a couple of KB so a hundred of them shouldn't be a problem.

Also we have never heard about any similar issue. Looks like your phone has a bug that affects some apps.

I recommend the following:

• Make sure that the phone OS is up to date.
  • Clear data storage of VictronConnect
  • Move/install VictronConnect to the internal storage instead of the SDCard.
4 comments
2 |3000

@jperez (Victron Energy Staff)Good morning,

you have not answered my two specific questions:

1) where are the config files stored?

2) is it possible, to copy them directly over to my PC filesystem?

It is realy annoying that I can not choose where to store the saved config files, because the Victron Connect App does not allow me to do so. It is only possible to share one file after one using EMail...

...which is a horrible job with currently 142 config files which take several hours.

Thankyou

0 Likes 0 ·
jperez (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image jperez (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Michelle Konzack commented ·
Files are stored inside the application sandbox directories. These app directories are not accesible by the user or other apps. So it is not possible to copy them to the PC.

This is the most compatible way.

We'll look into improving this.

0 Likes 0 ·
Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack jperez (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Thankyou.

I hope a "save to" option could be added (from inside the device config) and als an option to select multiple config files (from the library) and share it by EMail. This would make it easier for professionals to save/mail a bunch of config of a singel customer.

Have a nice day

0 Likes 0 ·
@jperez (Victron Energy Staff)

and another thing:

Why are the saved config files deleted if I clear the Victron Connect App Cache/Data if the config where explicit SAVED BY ME?

0 Likes 0 ·

I recommend the following:

• Make sure that the phone OS is up to date.
  • Clear data storage of VictronConnect
  • Move/install VictronConnect to the internal storage instead of the SDCard.

The last availlable Android update was on March 2022 and there is nothing newer.

I have to clear all 4 weeks the data storrage, but this also delete the stored config files, which are not accessible over the file system.

Where are the saved configs stored?

I searched the whole device for the *.vcsf files and could not find it, but once shared via EMail and then stored in the FileSystem, they are somehow accessible by the VictronConnectApp.

Is it possible to copy them directly over to another medium via FileSystem?

I have no SDCard installed.

2 |3000

Since Huawei do not want to make an update anymore for my Y6s, I run again out of space on the internal memory which is already pre-loaded with tonnes of Apps I have never used and using around 5GByte of storrage.

I just made a new screenshot.

screenshot-20230809-103229-comandroidsettings.jpg

2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

I've had VC on my phone for the better part of 3 years (yeah, I don't upgrade phones very often) and it's currently only using 203MB of total storage space. Definitely looks like the Huawei is doing something weird with your storage.

To get config files off your phone VC, I suggest emailing them to yourself (or sharing via NFC if your phone/computer is capable, or via BT sharing, etc) and then saving to a computer where you have your customer files saved - that's usually what I do, and permits easy reference later; then after you've shared the file, you can delete it from the Setting files manager and it won't be taking up space on your phone anymore.

2 |3000

Related Resources