question

johanneshovda avatar image
johanneshovda asked

Can the VE Bus Smart Dongle replace a BMV for a Small installation?

I have a Multiplus 24/3000 and a Lithium battery, and would like to add basic battery monitoring (Voltage, Ah remaining, SOC) and display this in the Victron Connect app.

This is in a camper van, so there will be house DC loads outside of the Multiplus.

Will the VE Bus Smart Dongle work for this (and thus not requiring a BMV for my small setup) ??

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerBMV Battery MonitorVE.Bus Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

No, you require a BMV for the system to accurately recognise DC loads and charge.

The MultiPlus (and adapter) is only aware of AC loads and AC Charging for its state of charge features. Inclusion of a charge controller would also require a GX device, which is connected to both the MultiPlus and the MPPT to keep track of charge.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

vanman avatar image vanman commented ·

If I have a Victron Smart Battery, Smart Shunt, Smart MPPV, Multiplus with Smart Dongle do I still need a BMV

0 Likes 0 ·
Vance Mitchell avatar image Vance Mitchell vanman commented ·

The smartshunt would give the same functionality as a BMV, Without the extra display

0 Likes 0 ·
rickp avatar image
rickp answered ·

There is a SmartShunt that is BlueTooth capable now that will allow you to do all the checks via the VictronConnect app. The cost to add one would probably be the same as the BMV though.

3 comments
2 |3000

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·

The Smart shunt is about 2/3rds the price of a BMV712

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ Paul B commented ·

Less and it has the same features, just without the retro LCD display. You still need a GX for the VE bus connection to the multi. The bluetooth only helps for connecting to a smart MPPT.

0 Likes 0 ·
vanman avatar image vanman commented ·

Thanks Rick

0 Likes 0 ·
Nickus de Vos avatar image
Nickus de Vos answered ·

I want to jump in here if I may.

I have a 12/1200 Multi, a Smartsolar 100/20 and a Blue Nova 4KWh lithium battery.

I want to add a BMV712 to monitor the system, mainly to see SOC.

I get that without adding a GX device the Multi will be sort of excluded from the network, but will I at least still get a accurate battery SOC reading for the system including the current drawn by the inverter and charge coming in from the grid even without a GX device?

This is how I understand it, I don't want to add a GX device, it will be total overkill for this setup, all I want to achieve with the BMV is to see a accurate SOC on this system.

1 comment
2 |3000

Vance Mitchell avatar image Vance Mitchell commented ·

Yes, adding just the BMV will give you the information you require.

Adding a GX device (or Pi with Venus installed) would allow a full overview of the system and nicer data logging.

0 Likes 0 ·