question

dram avatar image
dram asked

Switched from 12V to 24V battery, smartshunt/app issues

Hi guys.

So I've switched from a 12V battery to a 24V battery and now my smart-shunt isn't working properly in the app.

The app feels sluggish and when I try to navigate different tabs to view history etc, it loses connection and goes to reconnecting.

This occurred on both of my phones, android 10 and Android 12.

At one point, had the same issue with the Victron Smart 100/20 MPPT.

After updating to the latest Victron connect app, updated the firmware and it does look like it is working better on the newer phone with Android v. 12 now, still not as it should. Sometimes it's sluggish and loses the connection here and there. No problems with the MPPT in the app now, I did update the BT dongle after app update.

How come my smart-shunt isn't working properly since I've switched to a 24V battery?

Any clues to why this happened?

Thanks.

SmartShunt
12 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

Did you also moved it in another place (where it might have worse Bluetooth signal)?

-1 Like -1 ·
dram avatar image dram seb71 commented ·
Its installed in the same place. The only difference now is the system voltage of 24V and obviously, the latest version of the Victron Connect app.
0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 dram commented ·
Try deleting the Bluetooth pairing from your phone and connecting again after that.
-1 Like -1 ·

Didn't work ;(

0 Likes 0 ·
You can't connect at all with the phone now?

Or you can connect, but the slugish interface issue is still present?

------

Also you mention a BT dongle. What's with that?
You do not need a BT dongle for a SmartSolar and you also do not need a BT dongle for a SmartShunt. So what are you using the Bluetooth Dongle for?

0 Likes 0 ·

I can connect to the smart-shunt, but when I attempt to view other tabs such as history the app freezes, and the connection drops, then reconnects to smart-shunt again.

Yet, on Android v12, I can connect to smart-shunt and use all the tabs in the app just need to leave it to load for a bit longer.

As for the BT dongle. Yes, it's the smart mppt version, but under device info, there are two firmwares. One for the mppt, and one for its integrated BT chip.

I'll check everything tomorrow on the system and the battery connections and will replace the SmartShunt fuse just to make sure it's not something else.

0 Likes 0 ·

Ah. You meant the firmware for the integrated Bluetooth.

Victron has an actual Bluetooth dongle device (separate product).

Bluetooth connections are not the most reliable. Some phones work better than others on this regard, too.

At what distance from the SmartShunt do you connect to it with the phone?

0 Likes 0 ·
Just had a thought, could it be that something went wrong when I connected the 24V battery to the smart shunt? Was there something I had to do in settings before disconnecting the 12V battery and then connecting a 24V one?

Thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·

Unlikely.

Any danger is in case of reverse polarity and voltage higher than 70V. But the result would most likely be a completely dead SmartShunt.

You do need to change some settings when you change the battery, but nothig related with Bluetooth connectivity.

1 Like 1 ·

Is there a way to reset the smartshunt?

0 Likes 0 ·

There is a "reset to defaults" in the Settings (the 3 dots, placed vertically), but that resets the settings, so I don't think it would help in your case.

-------

I suppose you don't have a GX device, but maybe you could borrow/buy a VE.Direct-USB interface and using that connect the SmartShunt to a PC (with the PC version of VictronConnect software) and see if the interface is still sluggish when accesing the SmartShunt in this way.

0 Likes 0 ·

I've installed the newer VictronConnect version and updated the firmware on the shunt in hopes it would improve. Also, it's on Android v.13 now.

The same result :(

I still don't understand what happened and why I started having this problem with the app and devices. Before that, everything in the app was very smooth and fast to open. :(

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Answered as above I would say

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.