question

dabu avatar image
dabu asked

Which Victron device to charge a Goal Zero Yeti 1250?

Hello electricity geniuses,

First, apologies if the answer exists already on the forum, but I could not find it.

I'm building out a Ford Transit van as my budget allows. It will be a long process, probably over the next couple years. We hope to eventually have a 300ah lithium battery bank.

We already own a Goal Zero Yeti 1250 with a 12V AGM battery. We have 300W of solar but no way to charge it from the vehicle via DC-DC input. Goal Zero offers the Yeti Link, but since we plan on eventually using Victron devices we'd prefer to use the same DC-DC converter that we'll eventually use with lithium batteries, rather than buying one we'll only use for the Goal Zero.

Question: Is there a Victron DC-DC charger that would charge my Goal Zero but also work with an eventual lithium battery bank (e.g. Orion DC-DC charger?)?

Any advice or ideas is appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave

orion dc-dccampervan
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

No Victron equipment will directly "recharge" the battery inside the Goal Zero Yeti. The Yeti has its own internal battery charge controller. All you need is ... a) Solar Panel input; b) 120 Volts AC (USA) inverter input; or c) a 12 volt outlet from the vehicle. The Yeti will recharge itself.

There are DC-to-DC devices to provide 12 Volts when the engine is running.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The Orion DC:DC chargers can be set up to provide a constant output voltage, or as chargers for both lithium and AGM batteries. So yes.

2 |3000

dabu avatar image
dabu answered ·

Roger, thanks for the advice. I'll try the Orion DC-DC charger, with the idea that I'll keep using it for alternator charging when we get solar and switch to lithium batteries. Does that sound right?

Thanks!

Dave

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron DC to DC Converters Product Range

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic