question

newspark avatar image
newspark asked

Correct circuit breaker amperage for Orion DC to DC 24v 17Amp

I am trying to figure out what is the correct circuit breaker size to use for the installation of my Orion DC - DC 24/24 -17. I am using 10mm2 cable from the Orion to input (van batteries), 6mm2 from Lynx distributor to Orion.

Calculations using the formula: Current (Amps) = Power (Watts) / Voltage (Volt) suggests a minimum 25 amp circuit breaker, therefore I consider a 30amp.

However, I have read in another post, that I may use a 40amp Mega fuse in my lynx distributor (as that is the smallest mega fuse available), does this also mean I should use a 40 amp circuit breaker as well?

Any help, much appreciated

orion dc-dccampervanamps
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·
Not sure where you get your current from. It's a 17A unit, with temporary higher output. So it's about 17A on both sides. I presume you're using the heavier guage on the output side to avoid voltage drop.

Fuse or use a breaker for 17 A plus the short peak. The mega fuse in the lynx isn't really providing much protection.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

newspark avatar image newspark commented ·
Thanks for your response.

Though I am aware it's a 17A device, as the maximum output current is 25A, I had assumed that that would be the rating I should use, to avoid circuit breaking unnecessarily. I'm guessing this is incorrect then?

Voltage drop isn't much of a concern, as the wire lengths are incredibly short (sub 1m) - though I have calculated for this.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron DC to DC Converters Product Range

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic