question

philstack avatar image
philstack asked

Clarification on installation of IP65 Smart Shunt to AGM batteries in parallel

I have an Airstream trailer with two Lifeline AGM batteries connected in parallel. I want to connect the smart shunt IP65. I am a bit confused about connecting the negative battery terminal cable to the shunt. The existing connection to the negative terminal is with a clamp and that cable (as well as the positive cable) feeds into the trailer. The manual directions begin by stating "connect the negative battery termnal to the "battery minus" bolt, and that there should be "no other connections on this side of the shunt or on the negative battery terminal. The underlined portion is my confusion in properly connecting to the shunt. Do I maintain the clamp connection to the negative terminal (and the positive too) as it is now, or is that connection eliminated? If I keep the clamp connection, I can use a cable ring connection from the starter battery to the shunt, but is that the proper way to do it? Thanks in advance for any information or if I should clarify furthur.

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

I am not 100% sure exactly what you are describing but will take a shot.

You have 2 house/ domestic batteries in parallel so you have a cable connecting the 2 negative posts together. This interconnection remains in place. You remove ALL other connections from the negative posts including all charge cables, load cables, any chassis ground and any interconnection to the starter battery negative so you are left with just the one interconnection. Install a new cable capable of handling the largest load or charge source between one of the battery negative posts and the battery side of the shunt. This is the only cable thst can be fitted to the battery negative. Connect all you charging and load cables and the chassis ground and starter battery interconnect to the system side of the shunt. Everything that goes into or out of the house batteries by any route must therefore flow through the shunt and be counted.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.