question

babyrocket avatar image
babyrocket asked

Controlling Multiplus from CZone (NMEA2000) System in Airstream Trailer

I have a 50A Airstream trailer with the CZone system. It came from the factory with Victron SmartShunt, Bluesolar MPPT, and Cerbo GX installed. The Cerbo serves as the gateway to the CZone multiplex system, and there is a CZone touchscreen that controls everything and displays battery SOC and solar power information. The Cerbo GX connects to the CZone via a VE CAN NMEA2000 cable.

Unfortunately the stock inverter is a 1000w unit from Progressive Dynamics, so I'm adding more batteries and upgrading to a MultiPlus II 2x120V inverter/charger. The stock inverter is connected to CZone via a 12v output solely for the purpose of being able to turn it on and off. I'm told that I can reconnect that 12v output to the Remote on/off connector on the MultiPlus. The Victron docs say to short the contact to switch to "on". I've uploaded the MultiPlus connection overview as well as the CZone Connection Schematic for my trailer.Victron Multiplus II 2x120 Connections.pdfCZone Wiring Schematic - Airstream Pottery Barn.pdf

Has anyone connected a MultiPlus to a CZone system this way, and if so I have a few questions:

• Is this the right connection on the MultiPlus to turn it on and off with a 12v signal?
  • Shouldn't the Cerbo GX pass all of the MultiPlus information to the CZone system in the same way it does for the SmartShunt and BlueSolar devices? I assume some CZone programming would be required to display that info.
  • Any other tips or suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Patrick

Multiplus-IImultiplus ve.bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
mattyroo avatar image
mattyroo answered ·

There is a way to control the Victron Multiplus over the NMEA network, but this requires some Yacht Devices HW, a YDNB-07 and a YDRI-04, plus some programming. This could start to get expensive.

The Cerbo will not pass the information of the Multiplus to the CZone network, as unfortunately they are using different PGNs for this information. It can be done with a YDNB-07 and some programming. See my answer here for the solution: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/87367/pgn-12703-and-127504.html

Why not just fit a Mastervolt Combimaster and a CZone/Masterbus bridge, they work together seamlessly and you will get exactly what you desire. You will see all AC info on your Touch 7 and be able to control the inverter/charger.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

MultiPlus-II Product page 

MultiPlus-II Manual

MultiPlus-II 230V Datasheet 

VE.Bus Error codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic