question

derekslife avatar image
derekslife asked

Lynx Distributor Fusing with Lithium Smart Battery Bank

I'm considering connecting a bank of four parallel 200ah 12v Victron Lithium Smart batteries using the Lynx Distributor to a Lynx BMS, similar to this schematic w/ two parallel and also similar to the diagram from the Lynx Distributor manual (page 10).

screenshot-2023-06-06-at-95758-am.png

screenshot-2023-06-06-at-110649-am.png

With this installation configuration, I have some concerns about the interrupt rating/capacity (AIC) of the MEGA fuses that the Lynx Distributor unit uses. These MEGA fuses have around 2000-2500A rating before the fuse itself is overloaded/interrupted and allows current. The 200ah 12v Victron Smart Lithium will far exceed this during a dead short.

How have other installations accounted for this in their designs?

Lithium Batteryfuseslynx distributor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

How did you compute the short circuit current through the fuse? You showed no math.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

derekslife avatar image derekslife commented ·

I don't think it's officially published. But we can arrive at a ballpark. I believe the 12v lifepo4 has four cells. Each lifepo4 cell has about 0.1mΩ of resistance. The resistance may vary a little based on the SOC. So let's assume 0.4mΩ per battery.

12v / 0.0004Ω = 30000A

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@derekslife

I guess you are thinking about the arc quenching. Yes there is fusing with higher arc quenching. NH fuses for example.

On the other hand you are working with 12v and with lithium and the bank is not massive.

A few points about bms control, they have short circuit protection so will likely switch off in the event. But in the short duration there is a short the fuse blows and protection for the wiring happens so nothing shoud get hot. Torque everything to spec it will be fine.

2 |3000

derekslife avatar image
derekslife answered ·

I found these two very helpful resources:
- Nigel Calder speaking about AIC Ratings. Recommends a Class T fuse for LifePO4 installations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrwT52ehymQ
- Marine How To - Battery Banks & Over-Current Protection: https://marinehowto.com/battery-banks-over-current-protection/

The direction I am leaning towards will have MRBF fuses on each positive terminal, each leading to a Lynx Power-In, then a Class T Fuse after the Lynx BMS.

2 |3000

Related Resources