question

Brandon avatar image
Brandon asked

Multiplus II 12/3000 getting stuck in absorption mode and shutting off

Hey guys,

Having a problem with the charging on my Multiplus II (12v).

1st issue:

The Multi keeps going into absorbtion mode and sitting there for hours with 0 current going into the batteries.

The first time this happened the batteries were only at 66% when it went into absorbtion mode. It is still happening but I have managed to get batteries charged up to 80% (using solar, which is not great where I am due to shading and other factors) now but cannot go any higher as stuck on absorbtion with 0 current going into battery.

I realise it is not uncommon for charger to go into absorbtion mode at around 80% depending on how the settings are set. However, it is stuck here, not charging the batteries any higher.

It has worked fine for months up until now and I'm fairly certain it used to go into absorbtion at a about 85-90% SoC.

I will also add that the most recent time I turned on the generator to charge the batteries (still sitting at 80% SoC) it went straight into float mode?

So why would this be happening all of a sudden?

2nd issue:

While the multi is sitting there in absorbtion mode, if I leave it for an hour or so, the whole inverter just turns off, no lights, no power no nothing, until i reset it. I don't get any warning or any lights flashing, it just shuts off.

I've attached screenshots of the charger settings taken from Victron Connect with my MK3 adapter. None of these settings have been changed since this was installed and no firmware updates have been done.

I've also attached a screenshot of the multi in float mode showing the battery voltage.

240v supply to multi for charging is generator.

There is a Smart shunt with a gauge connected to the battery which is what I read SoC from. It is programmed to the correct size of the batteries but is not connected to the Multiplus II in any way.

Thank you in advance!

screenshot-20230531-142939.png

screenshot-20230531-143018.png

screenshot-20230531-143027.png

Multiplus-IIbattery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Brandon

Since the multiplus is saying it is floating there in your screenshot. it thinks it has moved through the charge statges quite fine.

You can verify if it has by using the shunt trends. Check if it has charged up to the charged voltage and then dropped to float voltage.

The second and more likely issues is the shunt is not synchronising correctly. Edited {slow internet didnt see screenshots}

Third. Are you sure the batteries are on and not sleeping? Or some on some off?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Brandon avatar image Brandon commented ·

Hi Alexandra,

The shunt is not synchronising correctly with what?

And yes I'm fairly sure they aren't sleeping. They have been running a small fridge 24/7 so they must be awake. I guess potentially 1 of the batteries could be asleep? But how do I check this?

Link to the batteries below

https://www.provoltlithium.com.au/product/compact-220-deep-cycle-lithium-battery/7

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Check all wires between the battery and the inverter for a loose bolt or corrosion on contacts.

2 |3000