question

semlohnhoj avatar image
semlohnhoj asked

Multi RS Solar hardware revisions for parallel

Hi,

I've got an existing Multi RS Solar and I'm in the process of getting a second for another project however I'm mindful that at some point a firmware update may arrive for operating these units in parallel.

I know with the Multiplus/Quattro units, if you want to run them in parallel then the hardware versions need to be identical.

With this in mind my question is: Are there any hardware revisions of the Multi RS Solar that I need to be aware of when purchasing a second so that if the firmware where to become available then I could use both for the purpose?

My current units serial no starts with HQ2208 which I understand means week 8 of 2022. Is there a range of serial numbers that are identical hardware to this one?

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) , could you point me in the right direction? Not sure who to ask about this one?

multiple invertersMulti RS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Semlohnhoj ,

First thing to say is that nothing is known for certain, not even by Victron.

I can tell you what I know right now, but it is not a promise or commitment, and should only be taken as my best effort to be transparent with the information I have.

The hardware revision requirement for VE.Bus parallel synchronisation MAY not be as strict for VE.Can parallel synchronisation.

Already there is an improvement in the Inverter RS implementation where it is possible to run several inverters with different firmware versions together.

There is a new “protocol version” that needs to be the same, but this is seperate (and hopefully more consistent) across firmware and hardware changes.

There is a reasonably major hardware revision that has already occurred since your model, that brings 2 MPPT trackers into the Multi RS, instead of just one.

I have not yet tested it, but I believe that this major hardware revision will still be able to parallel with the previous hardware revision.

I will try it as soon as I am able to get one.

The only official public statement on the matter from Victron is that Multi RS does not yet support parallel, and we do not know what changes will be required, if any, to make it available and working reliably.

We are working hard on it now as a priority for that team to bring that clarity, but any decision one way or the other before that official announcement is at your own risk.

I hope that is still helpful :)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Semlohnhoj

It is also a question of component aging as well. Even if you got exactly the same manufacture date and batch (new and boxed). Adding it to a unit already in service would not be possible as components values change values and is that also dependant on the operating conditions and system use.

Revisions happen naturally as new batches of components are made anyway. So the reason hardware revisions are made ismore often because of supply. (Besides the obvious improvement to product which it is still in the process of). I am fairly certain the same rules will apply as to the Multi 2s.

If you are planning a system with the possibility of moving to parrellel or three phase the Multi RS range is not the way yet as there is not date for when that will even be a possibility.

screenshot-20230531-144650.jpg

2 |3000

semlohnhoj avatar image
semlohnhoj answered ·

Thanks for the replies. The parallel operation is a nice to have rather than a necessity (very nice though :) ).

The unit I was looking to procure is a single tracker version that has been in stock a fair while as well so I'll take that for now and keep an eye on updates for the future.

2 |3000

thenecroscope avatar image
thenecroscope answered ·

Hi,

I'm holding off purchasing the Multi RS at the minute. Is there any news when the dual mppt multi RS will be available with parallel operations in the UK? Sounds like the firmware is quite close?

Thanks

7 comments
2 |3000

Hi @thenecroscope,

There is no time frame for release of parallel support for the Multi RS.

I am not expecting it any time soon, I would say that it is not close.

The next time I am likely to hear any update on progress, not even expecting it to be ready, would be for our next major trade show at Intersolar in June 2024.

The last time I did hear about it, the ambition was for the current dual tracker hardware revision to support it with a firmware update. That is not a promise or a commitment though, just from the latest info I have. It is also possible that an additional accessory may or may not be required.

It's still so early that it's just on the borderline of might be better to say nothing at all. So please don't hold me to anything here when it changes with something more certain.

2 Likes 2 ·
thenecroscope avatar image thenecroscope Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·
Appreciate the response. Thanks a lot :)
0 Likes 0 ·
davek avatar image davek Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi Guy,

Is there any further unofficial news on the ability to parallel?

I note your caution when relaying any information however I am holding out hope.

0 Likes 0 ·

R&D work on parallel functionality continues.

It is not certain if today's hardware will support parallel. We also hope that it is possible, but will only know for sure once it is fully implemented.

0 Likes 0 ·
davek avatar image davek Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Guy,

Thank you for the update. Eagerly looking forward to any future announcements.

If you need prototype testers in the field please let me know. I have 2 x 48v/6000/100-450/100 units side by side now. Set up to supply independent loads.

I originally requested a unit from the retailer that would parallel and was told it would but.....

This unit suits all of our other needs and to change seems too hard so just waiting on the update for the ability to parallel.

1 Like 1 ·
semlohnhoj avatar image semlohnhoj davek commented ·
I'll second that, I have two of the older single tracker units and one of the newer dual tracker units. I'm happy to upgrade the one of the older units if I have to.

Like you say, parallel would be a real bonus even though I'm just working around it at the moment. To be honest, even parallel only on the input or output side would probably do me. I could work with either.

0 Likes 0 ·
wynandv avatar image wynandv Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

It seems to be a contradiction of the spec sheet to say Victron is not sure if the current hardware will support parallel. The spec sheet certainly indicated that it would. It also promised a date. That date was met for 3P but for those that were expecting feature parity the Multiplus 2, something which was mentioned more than once as being the goal, it been missed to date.

I am disappointed that development priorities now lie elsewhere, and that the reasonable expectation created here is not being met.

multi-rs-parallel-2023-q4.png

1 Like 1 ·
wynandv avatar image
wynandv answered ·

I have three of the dual trackers models. I am very much waiting for parallel support. Disappointed it’s taken so long but hopefully Victron will turn their attention to this soon. It was promised on the spec sheet at one point, that timeframe was removed from the spec sheet but I continue to hope for it. Parallel support and feature parity with the Multiplus 2 was always the intention, just not sure when.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Mutli RS Solar Datasheet

Mutli RS Manual