question

fordens avatar image
fordens asked

Orion T non-isolated - to switch or not to switch

Hi all,

Providing the Orion-T non-isolated adequately controls the lithium batteries charge, and the Lynx BMS also takes the charge in hands, what is the point of disconnecting the Orion charger via the H-pin?

I'm setting up my boat system, I have 2 Orion-T 30a non-isolated chargers, connected directly to one alternator each, then connected to the BMS Distributor bar with Lynx BMS. What would be an advantage of setting a remote switch off if both Orion-T and Lynx BMS are able to filter the charge current and stop charging if the batteries are full?

screenshot-2023-05-30-134314.png

battery chargingLithium Batteryorion-tr smartlynx bms
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Sarah avatar image
Sarah answered ·

Hi @Fordens Using the BMS Allowed to Charge (ATC) signal to control the Orions provides additional temperature protection for the batteries. Please see the attached extract from section 5.4.5 of the the lynx BMS manual. Remotely disabling the charging sources (including using DVCC to control mppts and inverter/chargers) is safer than tripping the internal failsafe BMS protection which may be operating at high currents.

img-8141.png

img-8141.png (618.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Fordens,

I'm not sure what you mean with and the Lynx BMS also takes the charge in hands, I can only assume that you're talking about DVCC control.

The Lynx Smart BMS only controls compatible chargers via DVCC. Other chargers like the Orion Smart DC-DC charger are not compatible with DVCC and therefore need to be controlled by the BMS (via ATC) via the remote on/off port (H-pin on the Orion). This to stop the Orion from charging the battery in the event of low/high temperatures or high cell voltages. This is something the Orion cannot do by itself.

The Orion manages the charging of the battery itself (make sure the correct charging profile is active) and will stop charging once the set charge voltages are reached. And if something should unexpectedly go wrong, the BMS intervenes and stops the Orion via the remote on/off port to protect the batteries. That's exactly what the feature is for, as a last resort in case something goes wrong.

2 |3000