question

Graydon avatar image
Graydon asked

AC supplement "pass-through"?

I have a question about “pass-through” on my two 24/3000 Multiplus(s)

I haven’t delved into this feature too much, and what I have read/seen, its still a vague concept to me.

My setup at home is 5kW of Solar PVs(LG), 3 Victron MPPT’s (150/100 & 250/100), feeding into a series of Lynx busbars to two Multiplus 24/3000, running in split phase, to a separate sub panel, charging and powered from 60 kWh of LFP batteries (SOK).

I have been slowly adding more and more loads to the subpanel, and it virtually powers anything substantial in my home. My weekly consumption is about 150 kWh on the subpanel, with about 40 kWh still being power from the grid on my main panel. I have not added any high current loads such as the Dryer or Stove (yet), but routinely run my pool pump and air conditioner off the subpanel (solar/battery)

I understand the concept that, if I was in a boat or trailer, connected to “shore” power, and the shore power was limited, to say 20 or 30 amps, and if I tried to run loads that exceeded the capacity of the shore power, the Multiplus(s) would ’supplement’ the power requirement from the battery bank. (Correct?)

What about the opposite? If I ran my stove off my subpanel (~5000W), one leg drawing about 3000W, and my Multiplus was already supply 1000W to the ’normal’ loads, so now it needs to supply 4000W, would it draw power from the grid to make up the difference? (The 24/3000 Multiplus will nominally supply only 2400W).

Both Multiplus(s) are connected to AC power from the main panel, but told to “ignore” AC until my batteries fall to less than 20% SOC.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerac coupling
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Graydon

Pass through only works if you are connected. You have set up to AC ignore based on SOC. At this point your batteries and inverters will supply load until the SOC is reached, then it will connect.

You can also add the condition to connect on load as well. Just remember your AC input current limit will also have a bearing on how much the inverters supply and how much grid/shore supplies. The inverters will obey the input current limit no matter what the load is when you are connected.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Graydon avatar image
Graydon answered ·

Thank-you Alexandra. I forgot about that option, I will look into it, it may be the solution I am, looking for. However, can you tell me if I program the inverter to accept AC on a high load, is the 2400W limit (on a 24/3000 Multiplus) still going to not allow loads higher than that, even with AC?

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Graydon

There are four factors that can/will limit the incoming connection.

1. The max transfer ability of your units or

2. your wiring capabilities and

3. incoming breaker.

4. Your input current limit on the inverter.

Just remember it can take a few seconds to connect. It can power assist up to its own inverting ability depends on set up as well.

0 Likes 0 ·
Graydon avatar image
Graydon answered ·

okay, thank-you again. I'll give it a test this week

2 |3000