question

pyrorider avatar image
pyrorider asked

SmartShunt updating rarely in VRM and gets shown as "Last seen x days ago"

Hi, I got a SmartShunt 500 to monitor my pv-yield, the shunt is connected to mycerbo via an original Victron VE.direct cable. My problem is that in the VRM portal the power measured by the shunt only gets updated like every couple minutes and the Device List shows "Last seen 3 days ago" even though the data is being transmitted every couple minutes.

I am slowly starting to think that victron really doesnt care about the software for their products. This is and was a problem since I built the setup so not related to the latest VRM outages

SmartShunt
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

snoobler avatar image snoobler commented ·
What did your dealer say about the issue?
0 Likes 0 ·
pyrorider avatar image pyrorider snoobler commented ·
What is my dealer supposed to say about the not properly working VRM portal?
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ pyrorider commented ·

@PyroRider

Hard to help you without more info.

You head your post "Smartshunt updating rarely", yet say it's transmitting data "every couple minutes". Then suggest "not related to the latest VRM outages", but blame "the not properly working VRM portal".

Suggesting that Victron doesn't care about their product software couldn't be more wrong. And we probably have less info to work with than your dealer.

"Last seen 3 days ago" usually means the issue is at your end. We have little else to work with.

0 Likes 0 ·
Sarah avatar image Sarah commented ·
I am sorry that this is your experience - I have been using Victron products for several years and find the support exceptional. I have found that for real time use a quality internet connection is critical.
0 Likes 0 ·
pyrorider avatar image pyrorider Sarah commented ·
The internet connection is perfectly fine, Mikrotik Router, cerbo connected via Lan, 200Mbit fibre
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Ivar Eisma avatar image
Ivar Eisma answered ·

Do you have both Bluetooth and VE connected? It's possible that it's getting the data through BT, but the VE connection has not been used in a few days because it gets the data anyway. Or the other way around, I forgot. So you would have two shunts in the device list, one updated minutes ago the other a few days? That can happen, but it doesn't always.

If you're getting data, what exactly is the problem?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pyrorider avatar image pyrorider commented ·
No, between the cerbo and the smartshunt there is only the VE.direct connection
0 Likes 0 ·
pyrorider avatar image pyrorider commented ·

screenshot-2023-05-27-at-21-13-29-garage.png

The problem is that everything in the vrm updates every couple seconds, only the solar value only updates randomly every 30 to 60 seconds. AND in the device list, the smartshunt gets shown as last seen a day ago even though it has been sending values less then an hour ago. Meaning that the vrm portal/cerbo is not properly communicating with the smartshunt. I connected the smartshunt via an original ve direct cable, the rest is to be done by VenusOS and the smartshunt

0 Likes 0 ·