question

meerow avatar image
meerow asked

Triple Bank setup with AGM + LiFePo4

I bought a boat and am redoing the electrics.

Reading for a long time now but I am still unsure how to connect my new setup in the best way.

I have:

- AGM for Anchor

- AGM for starter

- LiFePo4 with REC ABMS for service

- Balmar 100A Alternator

- Smart Aternator Regulator but only with AGM profiles

- Mastervolt 75A Chargemaster Plus Charger with three outputs

- Solar MPPT

Now, should I go:

1. All charging (alternator, mppt, chargemaster) to a general charge bus, then three DCDC to every Bank

2. All charging to a charge bus and then two DCDC - AGM and Lithium

3. Alternator charging to isolating Diode, from there one DCDC to the two AGM and one DCDC to the Lithium, and for shore from Chargemaster one to the DCDC to AGM and one to the DCDC to Lithium

4. Alternator and Chargemaster to anchor or starter bank, from that one one DCDC to the other AGM and one to the Lithium

5. Alternator to diode, directly to AGM and from one of them to the Lithium

Sidenote, I need to reduce the output of the alternator to about 50% to not overheat it as my regulator does not have alternator temperature input.

battery chargingLithium Batteryorion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

As a Suggestion I would set up the two AGM batteries with a standard profile from the Alternator, and use an ARGOFET splitter to isolate them. Then use a DC/DC converter to charge the LiFePO4 from the starter battery when the engine is running. Similarly the chargemaster can charge both the AGM and LiFePO4 battery - make sure that the absorption voltage is set to the lowest of the AGM and LiFePO4 specs.

The MPPT can either charge the LiFePO4 battery, or the Starter battery depending on level of use.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

meerow avatar image
meerow answered ·

Would this be a working solution? Besides the poor drawing skills :)

screenshot-2023-05-29-at-173813.png

2 |3000