question

Adam Sherman avatar image
Adam Sherman asked

BMS shutdown and system powered by solar?

I just manually hit the off button on my REC Q BMS. CLANK went the contactor, stuff started beeping for a few seconds, then everything came back online with the battery disconnected. I did not expect that!

This system is a Cerbo GX doing DVCC, REC Q BMS, SmartSolar with VE.can, and a MultiPlus.

So the default is to keep the system powered up from Solar if that’s sufficient for the loads? I’m amazed. Can this be changed?

Thanks,

A.

BMSmultiplus ve.bussolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@Adam Sherman So the default is keep powered up from Solar if that’s sufficient for the loads? I’m amazed.

Yes the mppt's can try and power a system without a battery, but as you observed the system is not very stable. The mppt's are not quick enough to provide stable voltage, because the multi has loads that vary almost instantly.

Can this be changed? You are best to shut down the system in a orderly manner. Running a multi without a battery is not recommended / can lead to complications.

1. Shut down multi. Turn off, disconnect AC, disconnect DC.

2. Shut down PV. Disable charging, disconnect batt output, disconnect pv input.

3. Shut down Cerbo.

4. Shut down battery.

5. Start up in reverse order.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Victron VE.Bus BMS product page

Victron 3rd party BMS compatibility page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic