question

sideburnie avatar image
sideburnie asked

How can I get a shore-power-tied DC-coupled Quattro to use available solar power?

I'm an electrical / embedded systems engineer. I spent the entire day today (unsuccessfully) trying to get VE config to consume available solar power while also being grid tied and at a full SOC. I've read probably 10-15 posts on the topic and read the ESS manual (along with other support docs). I'm very frustrated.

Inverter: Quattro 5k, 48V, 120v

MPPT: SmartSolar 150/35

Control: Cerbo

BMS: Orion (CAN)

Battery: 48V, 300AH

Mains: 20A circuit current limited to 13A for 15A cord.

Connection: USB MK3

I updated VE Config. I installed Victron Connect. I updated the firmware on the Cerbo. I updated the firmware on the Quattro.

I tried dedicated Ignore AC input based on SOC, the inverter would not turn on or would turn on and off repeatedly.

I tried self-consumption hub 1, connected to mains, no feedback. The inverter would not turn on. I suspect this is because I have a CAN based BMS and there is no option in the hub setup for a CAN BMS?

I tried the ESS hub. Again, either the inverter would not turn on or would turn on and off repeatedly (mains contactors opening and closing).

Yes DVCC is enabled.

None of the instructions posted on Victron's website give a walk-through of the proper settings of VE Config while also using VE Config's terminology. I'm flabbergasted and exhausted at even trying to write down all the different things I tried to get this to work. Each one of them requiring an inverter reset thereby resetting my interenet, appliances, etc. My starlink had to be reconfigured because there were so many resets. I feel like this should be a single checkbox somewhere--"prioritize solar when on shore power".

MPPT ControllersMultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerBMSgridsolar
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sideburnie avatar image sideburnie commented ·
part of me was wondering if this is related to the grid-side current limit not being able to go below 13A, but I feel like if that's the case, they should specify in their docs... I tried UPS mode and not, I tried inverter boost on and off, I tried adaptive current limit on and off... I'm blown away at how many different configurations failed to yield a working system that prioritizes solar over mains.
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary answered ·

You can prioritise the dc loads by setting the solar mppt at a slightly higher charging voltage to the multi.

You need to set the inverter to 'on' if using ac input ignore, sounds like it may not have been from your post, if you tell the system to ignore the AC input based on an aux input status, you could then use the generator start stop function in the cerbo so control the shorepower and queit hours at night to prevent unnecessary cycling of the battery.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.