question

haf avatar image
haf asked

votronic standby charger wiring to victron load

Good day,
I have a Victron 75/15 connected to the battery in the camper and the car starter battery is often discharged.
Can you please advise me. I would like the following connection. victron 75/15 load output connect to the Votronic standby charger and then Votronic standby charger output to the car starting battery? Has anyone connected it like this?
victron products
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

The load output is powered by the battery, not the PV input, so you'd very possibly find this a poor solution; also please note that loads with high inrush or startup currents (as I suspect your standby charger would qualify as) must not be connected to the load output of the solar controller, as per the user manual
SmartSolar 75-10 to 100-20 User Manual

If the starter battery is often going dead, it is most likely time to replace the starter battery and/or identify and resolve any phantom loads that may be leading to the frequent discharge.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
The Votronic trickle chargers aren't much more than a diode, resistors and current limit through what looks like a PTC thermistor.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Also check the wiring for loads like a fridge connected to your starter battery. Use a clamp DC meter. Should be next to nothing with ignition off. And with charging voltage on the input to the Votronic you should see a charge current of 2-3A.

2 |3000

haf avatar image
haf answered ·
Everything in the camper is OK. The car does not start the engine for more than a month, so the battery needs to be recharged.

The Voltronic is really just a resistor, a fuse and a diode connected in series.
The question is if the Victron accepts the reverse voltage (that's about 6V) and the reverse current of the diode.
2 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
I guess by reverse voltage you mean that the input side of the Votronic shows voltage from the charging side. The batteries need a common ground, which should also be the ground on the MPPT.

There shouldn't be any reverse voltage unless the Votronic is faulty or you don't have a common ground through the system.

0 Likes 0 ·
haf avatar image haf kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

There shouldn't be any reverse voltage...

Yes, that's what I thought before. But the reality is different.
I checked the diode catalog and there is indeed a reverse voltage. I'm surprised it's so high.
0 Likes 0 ·
haf avatar image
haf answered ·

The problem is that nobody knows what controls the Load output from the Victron. Is there a relay, transistor or something?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic