question

cyon avatar image
cyon asked

Deep Sea aka DSE generator controller update

We have a 200va generator and we are installing a new 7320 MKII and 890MKII gateway to control the generator from the phones and read the fuel levels. Have someone gotten it right to read the data from the Deep Sea controller like Status, or fuel levels?

cerbo gxGeneratorDeep Sea DSE generator controller
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

12 Answers
Philipp Trenz avatar image
Philipp Trenz answered ·

Hey all,

For anyone coming across this question, actual status:

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sjaakkuiper avatar image sjaakkuiper commented ·

Hello Victron,

We are the Dutch distributer for DSE and i get some questions about the DSE4520MKII. This is the new controller which is also configurable as 4510MKII but then it is not recognized as a 4510MKII as the base unit is the 4520MKII and that is read by the modbus page as you describe in the manual;

By utilising the identification values found in Modbus registers 768 and 769 (GenComm Page 3, Register offsets 0 and 1), the GX device automatically detects the presence of a DSE controller.

So if you can add the correct identification value in the Cerbo firmware you can use this controller also.

If you have questions about this let me know.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Kind Regards,

Mit freunlichen Grüssen,

Sjaak Kuiper

1713261809872.jpeg

Techno Gamma Techniek B.V.

Flemingstraat 22 1704SL Heerhugowaard

+31 (0)72 512 16 20

info@technogamma.nl

www.technogamma.nl

0 Likes 0 ·
1713261809872.jpeg (3.0 KiB)
Philipp Trenz avatar image Philipp Trenz ♦ sjaakkuiper commented ·
Hi @SjaakKuiper, thanks for your input. I got the information from DSE support that the DSE 4520 MKII is not capable of performing a telemetry start via Modbus. But I will reach out to you by email, so we can discuss further, as there seems to be a certain interest in getting the DSE 4520 MKII supported.
0 Likes 0 ·
Philipp Trenz answered ·

Hi @Cyon, here's what we did for a remote site with a Genset having a DSE4620 unit:

• Configure digital input of the DSE to auto start/stop and connecting it to the Cerbo GX relay 1 (Generator config)
  • Configure digital outputs of the DSE to running state and connecting it to one Cerbo GX digital input (Generator option)
  • Connecting an external fuel tank to the genset, equipped with a BEP Marine TS1 sensor, which is connected via an GX Tank 140 to the Cerbo GX

Furthermore, we use additional digital outputs of the DSE to monitor if the genset is in auto-mode (required for the Cerbo GX to crank it) and if there is any error (general error signal). These could also be read out by the Cerbo GX and viewed from VRM under "Advanced", although we choose to log them via an external PLC to an InfluxDB database and visualise them together with other relevant values from the Victron System in a Grafana dashboard.bildschirmfoto-2023-06-16-um-174604.pngThe Victron ecosystem is an insanely powerful platform due to its documentation and open interfaces. Next, we'll extend our genset with a DSE855 ethernet interface to feed more in-depth live metrics into our dashboard via ModBus.

I think it is much easier not to link the systems directly with each other (more than necessary), but to prepare the necessary metrics together via an external tool such as Grafana. In Grafana there is also a powerful alert management system.

2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hey both,

Matthijs here, from Victron. We might be able to work together here a bit:

We've recently finished implementing support for another brand of generator controllers, ComAp. There we use ModbusTCP, and a ComAp ethernet accessory. See my Venus OS v3.10 beta series posts for the details on that.

We're very keen to do the same for DSE, as well as Deif for that matter. Looking for a technical customer to get that done with together. What we need is a system that is standing somewhere; and an approval for us to login remotely and create the required profile.

I've read up on the DSE4620 as well as its accessory DSE855 just now, and perhaps one of you familiar with DSE can confirm me:

1. DSE4620 only comms port is USB - correct?

2. DSE seems to not publish this protocol / most efficient way to get this going is to go over the DSE855 ethernet module?

Please let me know if you're interested.

all the best, Matthijs

ps. for any software developer, this is the changes we had to make to add ComAp support: https://github.com/victronenergy/dbus-modbus-client/commit/f1dedd198d9eb0ef735fa2df4e048291d12219d1. Not that much code actually. Most work for us is to find a generator, understand the DSE product range, decide on the protocol and then get and read and understand the documentation.

And then actual implementation is very quick.

2 comments
2 |3000

bart-champagne avatar image bart-champagne commented ·
Any chance for the DSE5520 controller to be added ?

It doesn't have an Ethernet port but it does have RS485.
And I have one next to my house-under-construction, hooked to a Victron inverter bank.

0 Likes 0 ·
Philipp Trenz avatar image Philipp Trenz ♦ bart-champagne commented ·

Hi, you will hear from me by email.

0 Likes 0 ·
jleverf avatar image
jleverf answered ·

@mvader (Victron Energy)

Hi Matthijs,

We're currently exploring this concept!

Our systems at the moment commonly have a DSE7420 mkII controller connected to the diesel genset, with the remaining battery/solar system being Victron/Cerbo GX centred.

From what I've gathered, the 7420 mkII can transfer data:

a/ MODBUS RTU over RS232

b/ MODBUS RTU over RS485

c/ MODBUS TCP over Ethernet

It seems possible to run either RS485 or Ethernet to the Cerbo GX.

We should be able to set up a system with Cerbo GX and DSE7420 which can be accessed remotely if you are still interested.

Let me know if you need any further information,

Best Regards,

Jethro

2 |3000

Philipp Trenz answered ·

Hi @Cyon and @jleverf, for you to note: @mvader (Victron Energy) and I are actively working on a Modbus TCP integration for DSE controllers and making good progress.

@jleverf: I'm currently testing with DSE4620 controller. If you could set up cabling and provide me with some form of access, this would be very helpful!

5 comments
2 |3000

jleverf avatar image jleverf commented ·
Hi @Philipp Trenz, we're currently running the DSE ethernet to our internal router, so it should already be accessible through LAN from the Cerbo GX. I'm in the process of verifying that I can poll DSE Modbus data over a TCP connection.

I'm working on finding a window for R&D on our production units, can you let me know what access you need set up on our end? I believe I should be able to get port-forwarding for SSH set up, is that all you will need?

Let me know if you'd like to set up a call to discuss access and timing/availability or anything else!

0 Likes 0 ·
Philipp Trenz avatar image Philipp Trenz ♦ jleverf commented ·
Hey @jleverf, many thanks for reaching out! I'll contact you by email, so we can figure out the path for testing.
0 Likes 0 ·
dafyddhirst avatar image dafyddhirst Philipp Trenz ♦ commented ·
I have access to a fleet of 8610mk2 that I have access to drop me a message if you need help .
1 Like 1 ·
adriankarth avatar image adriankarth dafyddhirst commented ·
Hi All

I have access to the following

DSE 4520 and a DSE 855 USB to Ethernet that we can use for testing

Would like to have this connected to the Cerbo GX

1 Like 1 ·
Philipp Trenz avatar image Philipp Trenz ♦ adriankarth commented ·

@AdrianKarth Thanks, I'll contact you by mail.

0 Likes 0 ·
Philipp Trenz answered ·

Hi all, we just published the release candidate v3.20~12, which adds support for eight DSE models: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/237457/venus-os-v3209-available-for-testing.html

If you have a DSE model, which is not listed and we should add support for, then please reach out.

9 comments
2 |3000

Philipp Trenz avatar image Philipp Trenz ♦ commented ·

Update: With release of v3.12, the DSE integration is now officially available. Currently supported models:

• 4510 MKII
  • 6110 MKII
  • 7310 MKII
  • 7410 MKII
  • 7420 MKII
  • 8610 MKII
  • 8660 MKII
0 Likes 0 ·
brittneywoodgate avatar image brittneywoodgate commented ·
Hi, is there a document of some sort detailing the support/features added and how to use them? thanks
0 Likes 0 ·
Philipp Trenz avatar image Philipp Trenz ♦ brittneywoodgate commented ·

Hi @Brittney.Woodgate, we're currently working on a slide deck presenting all features of the integration. Meanwhile, you can already find some information within the Cerbo GX documentation here: https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/en/connecting-supported-non-victron-products.html#UUID-7d8b2715-75d6-b9fc-e086-9d9e0fb49d7c

0 Likes 0 ·
brittneywoodgate avatar image brittneywoodgate Philipp Trenz ♦ commented ·
Awesome thanks!
0 Likes 0 ·
Al avatar image Al commented ·
Hi @Philipp Trenz Thanks for working on this. I have and am about to install the DSE L401 MKII on our 57kVA generator, I see it will work with the DSE855 or DSE890 CAN-Ethernet adaptors, so it would be great if this could be added, it was also one of the most affordable second hand DSE units available so maybe useful for others wanting to integrate into a GX too.

Is this possible for the DSE L401 MKII or should I hold off and get one of the other supported models?

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
Al avatar image Al Al commented ·
Hi @Philipp Trenz any updates on if it's possible to add the DSE L401 MKII? Also will the DSE890 work for communications to VenusOS? It uses MQTT, whereas the recommended DSE855 uses MODBUS TCP.
0 Likes 0 ·
Al avatar image Al Al commented ·
Well I guessed the lack of response means don't get the DSE L401 MKII for VenusOS integration yet.

So I found a DSE 8610 MKII for £259 which has built in ethernet, so no need for the DSE855.

If anyone wants an L401...

0 Likes 0 ·
Philipp Trenz avatar image Philipp Trenz ♦ Al commented ·
Hi @Al , sorry for the late reply. I think you made a good choice going with the DSE 8610 MKII. Do you still see a demand for the L401 MKII?

Regarding the DSE890: We are currently not planning to implement integrations via MQTT protocol.
0 Likes 0 ·
Al avatar image Al Philipp Trenz ♦ commented ·

No worries, yeah I think the swap out will simplify things. I guess I may have been in a minority with the L401, although it is a cheaper option, but when considering the need for the DSE855 on top, maybe doing as I did, and looking for an 8610 MKII or other Ethernet ready already supported DSE controller makes more sense.

1 Like 1 ·
greendovefarms avatar image
greendovefarms answered ·

Can we please add DSE4520.

5 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Greendovefarms, I got the information from DSE, that the DSE 4520 unfortunately does not have the option of Telemetry Start via Modbus TCP. Meaning, you won't be able to control the genset.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stephen Gannon avatar image Stephen Gannon Philipp Trenz ♦ commented ·

Hi, would this be the same for DSE 4520 MKII version? Cheers

0 Likes 0 ·
Philipp Trenz avatar image Philipp Trenz ♦ Stephen Gannon commented ·

Hi, the same is true for the DSE 4520 MKII controller.

0 Likes 0 ·
Philipp Trenz avatar image Philipp Trenz ♦ Stephen Gannon commented ·

Hi @Stephen Gannon, I cannot say for sure. But I found a setting in the manual under "2.2 Module", which says:

Auto Start: Converts the DSE4520 MKII into a DSE4510 MKII. This allows the module to start in manual mode, and on activation of remote start signal when in auto mode.

So, it seems like remote start does work for the MKII. It may even be already compatible, as we do support the DSE 4510 MKII. If you test it, please keep me up to date.

0 Likes 0 ·
Philipp Trenz avatar image Philipp Trenz ♦ Philipp Trenz ♦ commented ·
Update: DSE support has informed me, that unfortunately telemetry start via Modbus is not supported at all for DSE4520 MKII.
0 Likes 0 ·
cyon avatar image
cyon answered ·

Hello, Sorry for the long delay. I never got any emails. so we changed our module to the 7320 MKII and the gateway (0890-04)has an MQTT, I created an HA svr to get the MQTT, but I'm struggling, the MQTT is connected but I don't get any info from the generator.

PS: I'm in IT but still need to learn dev thins.

2 |3000

cyon avatar image
cyon answered ·

Hello all.
So I got the controller to connect to my Home assistant. But I need to load the sensor manually.
how will the code look?

1704713806066.png

1704713847466.png

1704713806066.png (85.0 KiB)
1704713847466.png (15.2 KiB)
2 |3000

nils-erik-lonning avatar image
nils-erik-lonning answered ·

Is it possible to get support for DSE6120? We have installed the DSE855 but it does not seem to be recognised by the Cerbo GX

3 comments
2 |3000

Hi, which MK-version do you have? We recently added support for DSE 6120 MKIII with v3.20~45, which is available in the Beta release (formerly: Release candidate) update feed.

0 Likes 0 ·
nils-erik-lonning avatar image nils-erik-lonning Philipp Trenz ♦ commented ·

I believe it is the first generation

0 Likes 0 ·
7294539781.jpeg (1.5 MiB)
Philipp Trenz avatar image Philipp Trenz ♦ nils-erik-lonning commented ·
Hi @Nils Erik Lonning, you should have received an email from me.
0 Likes 0 ·
nathan-anderson avatar image
nathan-anderson answered ·

Hi are we able to get the DSE4520 MK2 added to the list or is the DSE4510 mk2 a typo

7 comments
2 |3000

Hello, as written above, according to DSE support, the DSE 4520 MKII does not have remote start/stop capabilities and can therefore not integrated, sorry.

0 Likes 0 ·

Update: There seems to be a setting at the DSE 4520 MKII, which allows remote start. Manual chapter "2.2 Module" says:

Auto Start: Converts the DSE4520 MKII into a DSE4510 MKII. This allows the module to start in manual mode, and on activation of remote start signal when in auto mode.

If above is true, it may already be compatible, as DSE 4510 MKII is supported. Otherwise, we can probably add support for it.

0 Likes 0 ·
nathan-anderson avatar image nathan-anderson Philipp Trenz ♦ commented ·
Hi Yes i have tried connecting the DSE4520 mk2 set to auto only (not Mains Fail) it is not coming up in the modbus device list with auto scan turned on.

I have had success with another site with a DSE7420 mk2.

Also are we also able to get the DSE7450 added to the list as well ?

thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
Philipp Trenz avatar image Philipp Trenz ♦ nathan-anderson commented ·
Hi @Nathan Anderson, I'll contact you by email.
0 Likes 0 ·
Hi @Nathan Anderson, unfortunately, DSE support confirmed to me, that telemetry start via Modbus in Auto-Mode is not supported for DSE4520 MKII, sorry.
0 Likes 0 ·
jacojacobs avatar image jacojacobs Philipp Trenz ♦ commented ·
Thank you for the reply. Would it still be possible to monitor the 4520MKII, just no start stop control?
0 Likes 0 ·
Philipp Trenz avatar image Philipp Trenz ♦ jacojacobs commented ·

We're currently looking into this.

0 Likes 0 ·
jacojacobs avatar image
jacojacobs answered ·

Tried the same setting to Auto Start, on a 4520MK2 no success. Tried an firmware update from 4520MK2 to 4510MK2. Unfortunately the Config assistant wont let me. the VRM system is online and the DSE Webnet as well for testing if needed.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi, we're currently looking into this. I'll keep you informed.
0 Likes 0 ·