question

noelectrician avatar image
noelectrician asked

Smartshunt no charge data - Poss ground issue

Hi all,

So my Auto electrician has installed the Victron Smartshunt to monitor my dual battery setup which consists of a 100ah lithium battery being charged by a Redarc 25ah DCDC charger. There is also a 1000w Invertor in the setup well.

All charge (red cables) are going to the positive on the lithium battery which includes the Vbatt+. Their negatives are going to the system minus on the shunt.

However for battery load on the shunt, he has plugged in the battery and ground. He said it doesn't matter where the ground goes the system won't care.

Anyway I cannot see any charge current or charge history coming from the shunt even though the battery is being charged.

Also am I supposed to see the charge % go up whilst the car is running and theoretically charging because I don't see that as well.

Normally it's the next day is see the battery % status change.

Finally, it looks like he is plugged the Vbatt+ towards the bottom all the positive connectors on the battery.

Any ideas?

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

redarc-b.png

This works as intended.

All loads and charging currents must go through the shunt for Soc to be valid.

redarc-b.png (185.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

noelectrician avatar image
noelectrician answered ·

Hi,

What works as intended, my system or the diagram?

I have no idea if the starter battery negative is connected. Would this affect state of charge? I'm not fussed about data on my starter battery.

So you are saying that because the ground is not connected to the load side of the shunt that could be causing the issue?

2 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

@Noelectrician So you are saying that because the ground is not connected to the load side of the shunt that could be causing the issue?

The only thing connected to the aux battery negative post is the shunt.

All other negative cables are connected to the system (loads / chargers) side of the shunt. As per diagram.

0 Likes 0 ·
noelectrician avatar image noelectrician klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Ok thanks mate
0 Likes 0 ·
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

This is the second report recently of an auto electrician installing a SmartShunt and putting the ground to the battery side of the shunt. The ground has to go to the system side because the ground often carries some charge or load currents. If the ground is connected to the battery side these currents bypass the shunt and are not measured.

2 |3000