question

lurenut avatar image
lurenut asked

Orion-TR Smart 24/12-20A DC-DC - Boat Installation

I have a 24v 200ah lithium boat battery which I want to use to maintain full charge in a 12v boat starting battery using a Orion-TR Smart 24/12-20A DC-DC charger.

Questions:

1. Given the starting battery will also be charged from time to time from an outboard alternator, can the Orion 24/12 stay connected while the outboard alternator is running ?

2. When charging the 24v battery via a 24v Victron Phoenix Smart charger, can the Orion 24/12 stay connected to the 12v starter battery ?

3. I assume the Orion 24/12 should be set to the Charger (not Power Supply) Setting ?

4. Should the Engine Shutdown Detection setting remain enabled or not in the settings ?

5. Anything else I should be aware of ?

Appreciate any assistance or advice.

Cheers

Rob

orion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

1-2 yes

3 depends

4 depends

5 you have a couple of options. One is to set it to power supply, shutdown detection disabled and output voltage set to float voltage for the starter battery. The other is to enable engine detection, set charger mode and set these parameters so that the Orion recognises the phoenix charging voltage and charges the starter at the correct settings. Easiest is probably the first option. But you'll need to make sure the lithium gets charged regularly.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lurenut avatar image lurenut commented ·
Appreciate your response, many thanks !
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources