question

enda-mcl avatar image
enda-mcl asked

Orion Charger 24/12 - off grid use

Hi. I’ve got an off grid 24v system. Our generator has a 12v battery. I’m planning to use an Orion isolated charger to take a direct 24v feed from main house battery to charge genny battery. This seems to be a more reliable solution than modern 240v chargers.

It’s not strictly it’s designed use, but can’t see any problems…yet!

Any thoughts?

E

orion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

Seems like a very expensive solution. Are you just looking for a battery maintainer, ie a float charger? When running, the Genny recharges the starting battery, right?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

enda-mcl avatar image enda-mcl commented ·
Thanks. Battery charger on genny died several years ago! I’ve tried various float chargers but they don’t last long!
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

There are two groups of Orions, DC:DC converters and DC:DC chargers. Not clear what you mean by designed use.

The converters are cheaper, but will only provide constant voltage. If set to generator battery float voltage it would maintain the generator battery in a fully charged state. If, for some reason, the generator battery goes flat, the Orion will charge, but at float voltage, so relatively slowly.

A charger Orion will do the same, but with the advantage of a faster charge. You probably don't need that, the generator should charge its battery when running.

Best to take the 24V to the generator, then install the Orion close to the generator.

1 comment
2 |3000

enda-mcl avatar image enda-mcl commented ·
Thanks. As above, genny charger died. Also, with lots of solar now, the genny is not running sufficiently to keep battery charged. I don’t think you can adjust the output voltage on the converter thus I was going for the charger?

Yes, it’s expensive, however so are modern reliable 12v chargers. Hoping to skip the 240v to make it last longer.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources