question

rubicon avatar image
rubicon asked

Leaving the MultiPlus on during transit

Dump question: I just installed a MultiPlus 3K in our Winnebago Class B. We are getting ready for our first shakedown with the new system. We have a coach battery switch for 12v power to the refrigerator etc. It must be turned on for the 12v appliances. However, while driving, do most people leave the inverter on or off? I have a main on/off switch installed before the bus bar. Is it best practice to turn the main switch on when we depart on a trip and turn the inverter off using the Touch 50 or app while driving the vehicle? What’s the norm? Is there a best practice? The system doesn’t need to be turned on for the lithium batteries to charge from the alternator (Li-Bim) and/or solar. Do you normally leave the inverter off when not in use? Obviously, charging using shore or generator power requires the inverter to be turned on or set to charging. New user and sincerely appreciate the wisdom and knowledge of experienced users.

multiple inverters
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered ·

I leave my inverters on all the time. Only time they are ever turned off is only if required for something I am working on such as welding on the rig, or disconnecting batteries for any reason. Been doing it this way for many years

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Chad Heiser avatar image
Chad Heiser answered ·

There is no right or wrong answer. It depends on your needs. If you need the inverter to power something while underway (like a residential refrigerator), then leave it on. If you don’t need the inverter on to power something while under way, then use Charger Only. The inverter won’t do anything until you plug into shore power, then it will automatically start charging.

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Mine stays on unless there's so little solar that I can't afford the overhead of running the inverter for nothing. I'm too lazy to turn it off/on very often.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic