question

iam22lr avatar image
iam22lr asked

Conversion 12v to 48v

Hi, anyone have a recommendation for a 12v to 48v converter? Was looking at the Orion DC-DC Converter, seems like its what I need but not 100% sure. Specifically, I am looking to power my Starlink satellite via 12v. I have seen a couple of options on Amazon but they don't instill much confidence, if Victron has a solution I would likely end up with that. You can view a blog post online on what I am looking to do - my setup would be slightly different as I would not setup a router but it provides a good overview of what I am looking to do. Appreciate all suggestions.

orion dc-dc
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nesswill avatar image nesswill commented ·

Do you have a 12v system or 48v?

12v to 48v ? but as you say " I am looking to power my Starlink satellite via 12v" or 48v to 12v ?

i use the Orion-Tr 48/12-9 ??

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ nesswill commented ·
Starlink needs both 12 and 48V, 12V must be reasonable (i.e. not subject to charger voltage levels)
1 Like 1 ·
nesswill avatar image nesswill kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
ta got it.
0 Likes 0 ·
jd-travelers avatar image jd-travelers commented ·
I too am looking for a 12V to 48V orion for alternator charger. My camper is built on a 48V, which is becoming more popular. Any updates on this?

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Orion would be ideal. Make sure you get the correct one. 12/48 gives 48V from 12. Last number in the spec is max sustained output current.

You might have seen the Everlanders YouTube channel. Some starlink hacks there which may help.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

Victron does unfortunately not offer a 12/48 https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pricelist/Pricelist_Victron-Euro_C_2023-Q2_WEB_1.pdf or have one listed in the ordering system from I could see.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ ejrossouw commented ·
Thanks. I thought from the original post that he had found one. Clearly not.
0 Likes 0 ·
iam22lr avatar image iam22lr ejrossouw commented ·
Thank you.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources