question

pekkaj avatar image
pekkaj asked

How much benefit from Smart Battery Sense

I have Smartsolar 150/70 MPPT. What would be the concrete benefit of adding Smart Battery Sense? I won't add any device that has to have bluetooth constantly on so is there a wired version, in case the benefits are great?

BluetoothSmart Battery Sense
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@pekkaj the SBS is used to provide an accurate temperature and voltage reading that the mppt can use to provide temperature and voltage compensation that the mppt uses, for batter battery charging.

The battery current consumption is very low, betweem 0.3 - 1.6 mA depending onits operation.

SBS manual.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

If you already have voltage, current and temperature shared to the system via a shunt, none whatsoever.

When charging, the MPPT will always measure voltage high, hit absorption voltage before the battery is, and will start to taper current. A SBS will make charging a little more efficient.

If you're charging lead-acid, you need some kind of temperature sensor to provide the MPPT with accurate data for temperature compensation. If you don't have any temperature sensor, you will shorten the life of your batteries.

2 |3000

pekkaj avatar image
pekkaj answered ·

Battery is lifepo and I will have Victron shunt for battery monitoring. So shunt data can be shared with MPPT via wired protocol?

1 comment
2 |3000

snoobler avatar image snoobler commented ·
If both are connected to a GX device with VE.Direct wire, yes. Enable DVCC and turn on SVS, STS and SCS.

If no GX, but both are BT enabled, share via VE.Smart network.

If no GX and shunt is not BT enabled or MPPT is not BT enabled, no sharing.

1 Like 1 ·
pekkaj avatar image
pekkaj answered ·

Still wondering what is the difference for optimized charging? 1% more charge? 5%?

2 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

@pekkaj 1% more charge? 5%?

My mppt 100-50 will have a 0.5v difference between the mppt and battery terminals at high charge currents. That potentially means the mppt could go into absroption (14v) while the battery itself is at 13.5v. Voltage compensation fixes that problem.

Aslo while lithium batts dont need temp compensation, it is handy that shared battery temp can be used to disable mppt charge at low temps, to keep your battery safe.

3 Likes 3 ·
pekkaj avatar image pekkaj klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Still learning these, what does it mean when mppt could go to absorption (14v)?

E: okay found it, so it stops charging.

0 Likes 0 ·
pekkaj avatar image
pekkaj answered ·

Just confirming that Smart MPPT is utilizing data that BMV-712 sends in shared bluetooth VE.Smart network. I want to switch to wired communication though so configuring the system with Gerbo-S will be next step.

2 |3000

Related Resources