question

ostwest avatar image
ostwest asked

VenusOS RPI3 ABB B23 not responding

Hello, I have a RPI3 with VenusOS 2.92, MPPT, Multiplus II, Shelly 3EM via WiFi as GridMeter (should be replaced by the B23) and Daly BMS working. I want to add a Gridmeter ABB B23 212-100 (Bronze not Silver). I use a RS485-USB Adapter (Daly has also RS485-USB Adapter). On the B23 Display I see that Data is received by the B23 but it doesn't answer (Rectangle on Display only one arrow). I set the parameters to: 38400, none, modbus, Adress 1. Any advice? Do I have to install some kind of extra driver on the Venus??

Venus OSgridabb
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@OstWest

The B23 Bronze version is not supported. That might be the reason you're not seeing anything from your meter.

Please see the Energy Meter Selection Guide and Manual for supported versions on the ABB B23. You'd need at least Silver (or better).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ostwest avatar image
ostwest answered ·

Thanks for the fast response! I bought the B23 bronze an saw afterwards that the silver ist recommendet. But because the only differenz between those two ist the "tarifs" I thought it should work. It's a pitty, as it was not really cheap. So I have to get a silver or a different one.

Thanls again,

Ingo

2 |3000

P.H.J. Sibbing avatar image
P.H.J. Sibbing answered ·

Why is my B24 212-100 working , which is also a bronze meter ?

The meter should be connected via the ASS030572018 https://www.victronenergy.de/accessories/rs485-to-usb-interface, or make one yourself with a RS485 to USB adapter with FDTI chip DS_USB_RS485_CABLES.pdf

1. ABB B21, B23 and B24 Energy Meter-victron.pdf

2 |3000

ostwest avatar image
ostwest answered ·

I got the EM540 this week and installed. It wasn't working at first, I'm not really sure about the reason. After some testing I can say:

B23 Bronze and the EM540 are working with RS485-USB-Adapter from Victron and also with a cheap one from China, but it must be a FTDI chip. The CH340 is not working as the driver on the Venus are missing (I think). The EM540 is working on my laptop with the Software from Carlo Gavazzi with both, the FTDI and the CH. Also, the Marking "A" and "B" on the chinease one are wrong/exchanged, Furthermore the Raspi wasn't responding every time I plugged the Adapter. Once I had to restart the RPI. And one has to be patient till the EM540 / B23 apears on the Remote console. It sometimes takes some minutes.

Thanks,

Ingo

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic