question

senojnw avatar image
senojnw asked

Limit current on Orion 30A DCDC

Just checking whether things have changed and this is now possible? My wiring size is sufficient but my alternator isn’t powerful enough to handle the draw from the Orion plus another 25A DCDC

orion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

as far as i know this option is not available at this point in time, ( would like it myself as well)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

olvd avatar image
olvd answered ·

I have the same issue and was wondering whether there is a way to either activate the DC/DC converter when the alternatro is running above a certain rpm or add an additional current limiter chip to prevent the DC/DC Smart to draw too much current?

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Orions rely on available input and battery resistance to limit current, upt to their max output.

If you want to switch, there are voltage based switches and manual switching options. You might be able to rig up a switch between the LH terminals if you're able to measure alternator rpm in real time and use this to connect them with a relay. But watch the input time delay, voltage etc.

2 |3000

Related Resources