question

Bato & Co avatar image
Bato & Co asked

Easy Solar 2 GX and BMV

Hello from France,

I recently started to work on a future setup for my new boat (where I live). I plan on using a Easysolar 2 GX with a 1.6Kwp PV and a DC/DC Orion to charge via the alternator.

Is it possible to connect a BMV 712 via V.E direct to the Easy Solar 2GX? I wanted to double check because it is stated in the manual that there's 1 V.E direct but the MPPT built in is via V.E direct.

Also, in the manual of the Easysolar 2 GX, they talk about a "battery monitoring" system, is it "kinda" the same as the BMV series? I mean % battery, Ah consummed etc...

The whole electrical system will be in the bilge and I would like to have a visual clue without having to open the bilge or checking my phone (even though I love the Bluetooth functions and the VRM) that's why the BMV. It is possible and may it cause troubles to the battery monitoring built in the Easy Solar 2 GX?

Thanks very much for your time.

Baptiste

BMV Battery MonitorEasySolar All-in-OneBluetooth
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
If you can avoid installing in the bilge, do. Water and electrical installations are not good.
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@Bato and Co it looks like there is a spare VE Direct socket available for the BMV, top left of pic.

EasySolar GX 2 connections.

The batt monitor in the multi does not measure dc currents from solar chargers or to dc loads. You are better using a BMV for accurate SoC.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Bato & Co avatar image
Bato & Co answered ·

@kevgermany If there's water in my bilge, it won't take long for the boat to be at the bottom lol but thanks !

@klim8skeptic Thank you for the answer. So BMV is my go-to as I thought. I don't want to degrade the batteries and after lots of reading, having a SoC via BMV is a good choice. Do you have any Idea if there is a way to use the internal relay of the BMV to activate/deactivate the inverter?

At a SoC of any% switch on the shore power and reverse?

Again many thanks, really helpful

8 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

@Bato and Co Do you have any Idea if there is a way to use the internal relay of the BMV to activate/deactivate the inverter?

Sure you could use the relay in the BMV to switch the multi off via the multi's remote port. Once off though you lose the ability for the multi to recharge the battery.

You could use the AC Input Control feature within Victron Connect, to connect / disconnect the AC input. You will need a Mk3 USB adapter to program the multi . This can be based on the battery voltage, or the multi's battery SoC monitor (the 1 that is not so good with DC current).

ac-input-control.png

Any thing more complex will require a GX based system.

1 Like 1 ·
ac-input-control.png (289.4 KiB)
Bato & Co avatar image Bato & Co klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

@klim8skeptic Losing the ability to charge is indeed not the best option..

I would like to save the battery's life as much as possible. Do you think that the GX system built in the Easysolar 2 GX won't provide enough management of the SoC? If the BMV is connected to the GX of the Easysolar 2 GX via VE direct. Could it manage the way the inverter/charger is working?

If not, I would prefer to separate the units and have a MP2, a MPPT and a Cerbo GX. The price of the All in one Easysolar is attractive but I want to get sure that if well used and stored, the batteries are going to last long.

Many thanks for the help provided and for your time

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ Bato & Co commented ·

@Bato and Co have a read of Using BMV state of charge in an Assistant , it seems like there is a way to use the BMV to set the multi to ignore ac input based on the BMV's SoC and BMV relay.

Seeing as you have the GX in the multi it is possible to use VRM remote configure to program the multi, rather than the Mk3 usb adapter.

Follow this video to set up your BMV.

I missed that you had the GX, no Cerbo needed.

1 Like 1 ·

@klim8skeptic Many thanks for your answers, I'll carefully watch and read these guides, i'm surprises that I haven't read it before as I'm spending 23h/day reading to be sure I'm doing things the right way.

There isn't much infos about how the GX inside is working but well.. Anyway I have the answer about my first questions. Thank you very much

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ Bato & Co commented ·

@Bato and Co Another easier option has cropped up. It is possible for the battery monitor in the multi to use SoC derived from the BMV.

Set up the batt monitor in the multi as required.

ac-input-1.png

Via remote console go to settings > system setup > system status > synchronize VE.Bus SoC with battery > on.

ac-input-4.png

Set battery monitor to BMV. Settings > system setup > battery monitor > set to BMV.

ac-input-5.png

You can then set up the Virtual Switch "dedicated ignore ac input".

ac-input-2.png

All of this can be done remotely without a Mk3 adapter.

There are probably other options....

1 Like 1 ·
ac-input-1.png (179.3 KiB)
ac-input-4.png (70.1 KiB)
ac-input-5.png (59.5 KiB)
ac-input-2.png (149.8 KiB)

@klim8skeptic Hello thanks for the detailed explanation. Indeed it seems easier to configure than with assistant. I was reading the Cerbo's manual yersterday and there was the same infos.

I'm beginning to doubt about the Easysolar 2 GX. Maybe better having a separate units installation if I want some upgrade in the future etc...

You helped me a lot Thank you @klim8skeptic

Baptiste

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Bilges are damp...

On the relay, yes it can switch on SOC. Configuring it is easy and covered in the downloadable manual.

But it's for low power.

0 Likes 0 ·
Bato & Co avatar image Bato & Co kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
@kevgermany Yes you're right but boats are damp in general.. during summer the cabin can rise up to 55°C and winter like this year -15°C I have to make a decision
Thank you for the answer, I'll read the manual of the BMV.
0 Likes 0 ·