question

rv-idiot avatar image
rv-idiot asked

Multiplus II Overload on L1 While connected to 50a Shore power

Only problem I see in the logs is that the Battery drops, sometimes below 13V and the current drops to a negative sometimes as low as -279A. I updated to the latest firmware about 4 weeks ago and everything was fine until about 7 days ago. I've gotten about 10 overload warnings a few High DC Ripple Warnings and a few Low Battery Warnings. I'm running 4 206ah SOK batteries with a Victron Shunt. Any help would be appreciated.

Multiplus-IISmartShuntVE.Bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @RV Idiot

The Multi will usually throw Overloads when it's inverting. Maybe you have a spiky load causing a voltage drop on your Shore supply, the Multi rejects it, then it has to invert, and Overloads. This might happen in milliseconds, so logs might be of limited value. A rejection might take a little while to reverse, and the logs should show that. Also you'll hear relays in the Multi, and that's a giveaway.

Or maybe you just have a nasty ac load, perhaps a motor with a faulty start capacitor, and the Multi is 'Power Assisting' for those mS's, and showing the Overloads. The ripple and low batt warnings might apply to either scenarios.

I'd investigate the loads you have running, and try to find a relationship to the warnings.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rv-idiot avatar image
rv-idiot answered ·

Thanks John. The only heavy load that runs on L1 is the AC which has a soft start installed on it. I'm gonna remove the soft start to see if that corrects the issue. I can't say for sure that the AC is running every time a warning occurs.

2 |3000

rv-idiot avatar image
rv-idiot answered ·

Okay, so I'm still getting Overload on L1 warnings. I'm in an area now where it gets real cold at night so I run the electric fireplace not the AC. It threw two this morning. I'm wondering if this is a problem with the Multiplus II or the cabling.

2 |3000

jm0278 avatar image
jm0278 answered ·

It sounds like the Multiplus-II is programmed, appropriately, to cover loss-of-grid power. As a consequence, it always interjects itself between the grid and the load. When a large load is first applied, the Multi absorbs it, then gradually transfers the load back to the grid. You didn't mention what the rating is on your Multiplus-II, but my Multi-II 3000 is actually only rated for 2400 continuous. It can handle loads up to the full 3000 for about 20 minutes if I remember correctly, but mine does toss a warning if it gets above 2400 for more than a very brief period. I've actually seen in the Console when my Multi-II 3000 has handled over 3200, but only very, very briefly before the load subsided. The warnings will repeat if you have a hefty load that cycles on and off such as a heating element that reaches it programmed temperature, then cools before turning on again.

1 comment
2 |3000

rv-idiot avatar image rv-idiot commented ·

Thanks for the response. It's the 12/3000/120-50. It worked fine all last year under the same conditions. I'll have to put a clamp meter on it to see what the load is spiking to. Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·