question

heuchtech avatar image
heuchtech asked

2nd External Genset

HI all,

I'm chasing an answer to a problem given to us by a customer.

Using completely arbitrary numbers, he already has a solar/diesel/battery system with a Quattro that can put out a max 100A (even with powerassist, etc).

The customer has more equipment they want to install and is concerned that he will need to draw, say, 125A.

To cover the excess, he wants to be able to start an ADDITIONAL and EXTERNAL genset to the system to feed onto the AC bus to provide additional support.

They don't want this change over to "replace" our already installed, and doesn't want the capacity to be shifted completely over to the external genset.

The main problem is that the genset MUST go through the transfer switch, it appears.

In other systems I've used, using an external PLC one can update the generator size through MODBUS and would connect all gensets to AC bus through an external contactor. Is there this capability in the Victron systems? Is there any other work arounds?

Thanks in advance for everyone's thoughts on the matter.

Cheers,

Rob

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerGenerator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

as the main ac out and in relay is rated at max 100amps in your case by the look then thats the max you can send out through the ac1 out. so thats your limit, unless you put a second quattro in parallel then the output rating becomes 200amps.

the ac1 in synchronizes the inverters output to match the incoming frequency then connects the two matched frequencies, so having a second generator may give you sync issues.

so i think the best solution is to add another quattro to basically double the output

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.